New guy

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey I'm Joe. I'm a hot rod car guy... I kept my old 1979 Mongoose BMX (with Motomags) from when I was a kid and recently started restoring it, as well as my 1976 Yamaha Moto-Bike.
But I'm a hot rodder and I love rat rods.
Tomorrow morning I'm driving 300 miles to buy an '01 Dyno Roadster, 100% stock and original... not for long!
I'm eyeing that cheap Harbor Freight tubing roller too. I've got several old cheap bikes, as well as one of those Mongoose Dolomite fat-tire bikes, that are just a custom frame away from being cool!

So, here I am, up in Seattle, where I'll probably be the only one riding such a thing. It's all mountain bikes up here. Boring!

Welcome to the asylum! I just stumbled upon that HF tubing roller a few moments ago and I'm curious to hear your review, if you get it. I don't fabricate, but maybe it's high time I take the plunge.

Well I got the Dyno home... It's an '01 in near mint shape, completely unmolested and original, tires and all. I'll put the 7-speed Nexus on it with some sort of cool stick shifter, but ....... It just doesn't need anything!
It's got a headlight that I'll convert to LED, and I'll go with either '39 Ford or '59 Caddy taillights. And I'll swap out the tires just so I don't wear out the probably-irreplaceable originals.

I guess I better get that tubing roller and try making a frame, so I can do all sorts of custom stuff. The Dyno just doesn't seem to be asking for many changes.

Well here it is, still 100% original. I've got some 26x2.125 whitewalls from a beach cruiser I'm gonna slap on first thing, mostly so I don't wear out the original Dyno tires.

Dyno2_zpsh5ber3of.jpg

Thanks you guys.
The Mongoose is all apart right now... back in the early '80s when it served as my sole source of transportation, I painted the frame gloss black, with black Tuff wheels. Everything else was ano blue, with blue gumwalls on it. I recently got the Motomags I always wanted it to have but I'm still sanding and polishing them.

Here's the Yamaha, it's all original, only missing the chain guard. I've even got the reflectors that go in the spokes but I don't keep them on it, heck those have always been the very first thing we all yank off!

Here's a shot of the Goose.
I'm gonna get the frame powdercoated and I've got a set of custom decals coming, just like the originals but blue instead of the gold/orange/red they were, which would look wrong.

Welcome, from a fellow hot rodder and bike addict.

I'll get pictures up soon, I've started a bit on the Dyno.
I had some beach cruiser 26x2.125 whitewalls, so I slapped them on, but they didn't look right (particularly the front) because they had too much of a square-shoulder knobby tread pattern so I took a grinder, then orbital sander, to the front tire and rounded up the profile. It looks much better.
I cut down an old beach cruiser fender to make a shorty for the rear.
Everything original I remove is getting saved in a safe spot, but I don't wanna ride around on it all stock!!
Next plan is making a custom stick shift and installing the Nexus 7 hub I have siting here.

Welcome aboard.
The rack is a neat mod to start with, I don't recall seeing one on a strch before and it should tie in with your fender and light ideas.

I got the rack because my wife and I go grocery shopping on our bikes (she has a trike wih a big basket) when the weather is nice and we have time but I need to be able to carry at least something, namely the milk or beer :)
I like it though... makes the bike look longer. Had to fab a bracket to hold it, the Dyno frame is so low. I ended up just eliminating the rear fender.

Latest posts

Back