New here from KY

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, I'm new to the site from Louisville, KY, been wanting to get an old 26" cruiser for a long time, love the style. Not having any luck at thrift stores and yard sales in my area, but I will keep hunting. This will be a fun hobby in addition to tinkering with my 72 CL350 8)

Thrift store finds are usually mountain bikes or old road bikes. Pretty much the same for garage sales unless you catch an old retired couple. The two best places for me have been craigslist and simply asking people if they have an old bike they want to sell whenever the subject comes up. I'll see some nice bikes listed online as an estate sale find, but I've never had any luck with them....had one lucky strike at a "barn sale".

I normally check CL in several cities close to me. You might want to check the Cincinnati craigslist, they seem to have an unusually have a good selection for a city it's size. For example, this little beauty for $25. The seller mentioned he had parts for sale, I bet you could talk him into throwing some in for free.

http://cincinnati.craigslist.org/bik/728344686.html

Welcome!

Timbo said:
It's like Records shopping

I can't leave a thrift store without combing their vinyl.

GodHatesCleveland said:
I normally check CL in several cities close to me
I've been looking through Craigslist too, sent out a few emails. I know I will find the right bike sooner or later.

This is in the neighborhood of the look I'd eventually like to achieve. My friend said this might have 26" wheels on a frame built for 24"?
PICT3619.jpg

thedrivel said:
Timbo said:
It's like Records shopping

I can't leave a thrift store without combing their vinyl.

GodHatesCleveland said:
I normally check CL in several cities close to me
I've been looking through Craigslist too, sent out a few emails. I know I will find the right bike sooner or later.

This is in the neighborhood of the look I'd eventually like to achieve. My friend said this might have 26" wheels on a frame built for 24"?
PICT3619.jpg
Hey, that's my old bike! Oh yeah, WELCOME TO THE SITE. I have a ratty firestone cantilever frame 26'' with the seat and chainguard I'll sell ya real cheap, let me know, I'm in Cincinnati so just come pick it up.

One good thing to find out is what size frame it is, not just the wheel size. So generally speaking, the frame on a bike with a 26" wheel set is going to be bigger than one for a 24", but that 26" frame might come in a small, medium, or large version. I'm exactly 6 feet tall and if I ride a small or medium size frame on a 26" bike, my toes have a tendency to brush the front tire on turns. Then again having size 13 feet might have something to do with that too.

If the seller doesn't know what size frame it is, or you can't find a "S", "M", or "L" stamped on it somewhere, the length of the seat tube will tell you if it's the right size or not. If you're around 6 feet tall you'll want it to be somewhere around 19 inches. You can still ride one with a 17" seat tube, but it'll get a little cramped for long rides.

Welcome, I'm in Cincinnnati Ohio. You should come to our ride on August 23 at Fern bank park. Send me a message if you wanna come look at some of the bikes I have for sale too.

Back