NEW KLUNKER IN TOWN

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ratina said:
Thats a nice parts list! I'm hoping a 1 1/8 will work. Felt has a nice looking pair of moto bars for 19.99, I might get them. Ill be sure to start a build thread when I get going on it
1 1/8" will not work easily (without welding cups onto the headtube).

classic-low-bars.png

They look pretty good. But, I think they have too much back sweep. They seem more cafe racer to me. It also doesn't say how wide they are. 30"+

I would get moto bars. Most guys take the steel ones off as soon as they get a bike and put renthal fatbars on. I feel like a WTB $10-20 ad on CL or stopping by moto shops would find you something.

http://www.btosports.com/p/FLY-RACKING- ... HANDLEBARS
$18.85. The CR, KX/RM, and yamaha bars look good to me, all over 800mm wide, and you have a bit of choice on rise/upsweep/backsweep.
FLY-RACKING-1010-CARBON-STEEL-HANDLEBARS.jpg

Ebay has some cheap options:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/MSR-Profile-Car ... 57&vxp=mtr

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-moto-cr ... 6a&vxp=mtr

Not my style, but these ano alu bars come in lots of pretty colors
http://www.ebay.com/itm/BLUE-MOTORCYCLE ... 6b&vxp=mtr

thad said:

Had a couple just like that (C Model) a few years ago, the earlier ones had cottered cranks. Wish i would of hung onto one but they brought too much money to keep. You should see Rat Rods Yamaha motobike :)

Schwinn Heavy Dutis, the Asian-made ones with the three-bar frames like you get from Ind-Chuckz, they have 1.125" headtubes. (The older, canti-framed ones have the oversized 1" jawns.) So, with a later-model Heavy Duti, you can run whatever 1.125" fork with a threadless set up, if you like-- but you won't be able to run an old-school 1" bmx quill without some sort of adaptor.

I have long been tempted to buy a Heavy Duti from Chucks and build a klunkish thing with a disc front and C/B rear, but I can't get over my reluctance to build such a thing out of an imported frame. I'll have to stick with my Worksman with the profile goodies, drums front&rear, and chris king headset. :shock:

-Rob

Bicycle808 said:
Schwinn Heavy Dutis, the Asian-made ones with the three-bar frames like you get from Ind-Chuckz, they have 1.125" headtubes. (The older, canti-framed ones have the oversized 1" jawns.) So, with a later-model Heavy Duti, you can run whatever 1.125" fork with a threadless set up, if you like-- but you won't be able to run an old-school 1" bmx quill without some sort of adaptor.

I have long been tempted to buy a Heavy Duti from Chucks and build a klunkish thing with a disc front and C/B rear, but I can't get over my reluctance to build such a thing out of an imported frame. I'll have to stick with my Worksman with the profile goodies, drums front&rear, and chris king headset. :shock:

-Rob

Good to know. I just picked up one from him (haven't gotten it yet) Still can't seem to find a bmx style 26" thread-less fork that isn't over $100

CCR said:
yoothgeye said:
How about color?...

Looks Awesome Justin !!!

Are you using Jones and Sons or trying to etch it yourself ??

I don't have the ca$h for a piece like that, so I've thought about trying to do one myself, but right now I'm just playing around on Photoshop.

Justin

I think the B/W version would look cool just as a black vinyl decal, I was just thinking a brass badge all colored up would match the age/look of the frame a bit better though. Those old Roadmaster badges are about the coolest in my opinion, just behind the Roll fast bearings badge.

CCR said:
I think the B/W version would look cool just as a black vinyl decal, I was just thinking a brass badge all colored up would match the age/look of the frame a bit better though. Those old Roadmaster badges are about the coolest in my opinion, just behind the Roll fast bearings badge.

I actually have a full paint job planned for the frame. :eek: Bye bye patina.

Need to keep this handy: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=45405&st=0&sk=t&sd=a

I think I have everything hoarded I need for the build off except for pedals and a definite stem. I've got plenty of hubs and rims to pick from around but I need to make a decision and get something laced up. I would love to be organized enough to get this thing together to be riding it well before the deadline. Especially since action shots are involved :mrgreen:

ratina said:
Good to know. I just picked up one from him (haven't gotten it yet) Still can't seem to find a bmx style 26" thread-less fork that isn't over $100

You might want to just bite the bullet and get some landing gears. You can get them for $90 if you hunt around, they come in 3 color options, and they're very strong/look the part. OTOH, if you're planning to ride actual trails, you might want to consider a mtb fork with V's or discs. It won't look as cool, but it'll stop you much faster when needed..

hth
-rob

CCR said:
I think I have everything hoarded I need for the build off except for pedals and a definite stem. I've got plenty of hubs and rims to pick from around but I need to make a decision and get something laced up. I would love to be organized enough to get this thing together to be riding it well before the deadline. Especially since action shots are involved :mrgreen:

OK, from my head list time.

-frame
-hoops
-hubs
-bars (2 sets)
-saddle (coming)
-brake lever (just one)

Those are definites. I have to decide on gearing and build a fork. Gearing may come with a color and coordinate grips and decide on chain then. Pedals? No clue. For the longest time I was thinking 3 piece crank, but I may be leaning towards a one piece crank. What else is needed to be a bike?

Back