New life for an old girlfriend my Columbia Torpedo

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just got this old girl back up and running after many years dusty cornered.I must have rode this around the world twice over the years and swapped over to my Schwinn three speed chops.Had some vacation time and was raining for a few days so I decided to start the revamp overhaul.Bike was puff canned in black & purple so this time I wanted her to pop!I know you guys are probably saying that he's got the springer built wrong but I wanted the bike to have a longer look to it.By putting the truss rods and axle dropouts out in front and with the beautiful Evans "long boy" rack on the back I acheived the objective without sacrificing safety as a matter of fact I like the ride much better now as its a firmer ride rather than mushy soft! Bike is outfitted with a "Big MO"64 tooth excerciser bike chainring and Bendix underdrive 2 speed kickback hub.This lets you take off nice and easy and then when you shift--watch out:13: she flys! and for an old girl like this sweet! Check out the "events" forum and into the "Harlem Valley River ride",its this bikes first time out in at least 8 years!
001.JPG
004.JPG
005.JPG
006.JPG
010.JPG
011.JPG
012.JPG
009.JPG
016.JPG
017.JPG
019.JPG
001.JPG

Last edited:
Hey Black Top, I checked out the Harlem River event thread and the bike proved itself nicely for ya.
The Bears must have caught you after the radar gun started smoking on your fly by.
And nope, I think you've got the forks on the RIGHT way.:thumbsup:

Hey Black Top, I checked out the Harlem River event thread and the bike proved itself nicely for ya.
The Bears must have caught you after the radar gun started smoking on your fly by.
And nope, I think you've got the forks on the RIGHT way.:thumbsup:
Appreciated!!,Naw the right way is the truss rods on a JC Higgins goes behind the fork but I took the chance and it proved to work out terrific giving the bike a longer reach by about 3" total:41: and totally safe,lucky me!! As far as the "Bears" nope I wasn't speeding but I think when I went by he dropped his coffee and donut on his gun holster because of the color:rolleyes:!!

Nice paint job. What kind of paint did you use on the ol' girl?
Paint used was Rust-oleum yellow high performance enamel and Dupli -color red anodized.Parts that were painted red were shot in chrome silver first then canned with the red two to three light coats to let the silver show through a bit.You have to keep the red can shook up up all the time or it will "redspot" and leave the said redder spot:eek:!bummer!!

It looks great. i did the same thing with a beehive on my CWC. Mine would bottom out on big bumps or hard braking and the front tire would contact the springer, like an extra brake. The stops don't work with the flanges forward, but it does have a great look.

It looks great. i did the same thing with a beehive on my CWC. Mine would bottom out on big bumps or hard braking and the front tire would contact the springer, like an extra brake. The stops don't work with the flanges forward, but it does have a great look.
Had a bad accident years ago with a Western Flyer with jet logo on it due to to the springer fork and leaned to dot T's and cross the I's for safety's sake big time.I'm now going to be building my Evans since this bike is together and lots of plans for its build are keeping me up at night!!:headbang:

Back