new member from Indianapolis

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone! my name is jerry and I live in Indianapolis. I've recently begun to clean up and fix the bicycles in my garage and have also been buying up rusty bikes whenever I run into them at salvage stores or Craigslist. My newest ride is a trike that I bought from Craigslist. I probably paid too much ($125) but with gas prices so high my girlfriend really wanted it to ride to the store for groceries, so we figure we'll eventually save money anyway. Here's the trike:
322207067.jpg

Needs a lot of work, but that's the fun part.

Next, here's a Schwinn Twinn tandem from 1963 that I bought at a garage sale for $40 a few years ago. It was pretty rusty when I got it, but it cleaned up well:
322207072.jpg

And here's the bike that I rode most often. It's a 57 Schwinn Jaguar Mark IV that a previous owner repainted. Obviously it's missing the tank and rear rack, but I love it anyway.
322207079.jpg

Hello Jerry, great to have you here. :D I love your bikes, I think your trike is well worth $125 dollars, I love it! The frame, the fenders, the apes, it's perfect. Cya around. :) -Zach

WELCOME!

Nice collection!

$125 for a trike isn't bad, the general starting price in Ohio seems to be $100 no matter what shape it's in, and that's for a generic trike not something as stylish as a converted muscle bike frame. Besides, ya gotta keep the girlfriends happy!!!!

I've noticed that a good percentage of the vintage bikes on ebay are in the Indianapolis area, what is going on there? Ohio is great because so many of the balloon tire bikes were made here, but what's the deal with Indy? Did the elder Schwinn have a mistress there or something?

ps-when anybody else looked at the trike did they think "That baby needs some fake raccoon tails hanging from the grips", or was it just me?

GodHatesCleveland said:
Nice collection!

I've noticed that a good percentage of the vintage bikes on ebay are in the Indianapolis area, what is going on there? Ohio is great because so many of the balloon tire bikes were made here, but what's the deal with Indy? Did the elder Schwinn have a mistress there or something?

ps-when anybody else looked at the trike did they think "That baby needs some fake raccoon tails hanging from the grips", or was it just me?

It's true that there is no shortage of old bikes in Indianapolis. Just the other I passed a garage sale and a rusty bicycle caught my eye. It was a pre war skip chain Rollfast. It didn't have a price on it and I asked the seller what he wanted for it, fully expecting him to ask for $100 or more. He said to make him an offer and I offered $50, which I thought was more than fair. He said "Well, that's an antique and it belonged to my father; I was thinking more like thirty five dollars." Can you believe that? You offer someone $50 and they talk YOU down to $35! So of course I bought it for the bargain price of $35. It's a little rusty but I kind of like the combination of the rust and the blue color of the original paint so I think I may just clear coat it to prevent further rust. I'll post a pic when my camera battery recharges.

Back