New member from the SoCal desert

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What's happening people...new to the forum and just joined up. Not exactly new to the bike scene but kinda getting back into it. Back in the 90's a few of my friends and I were into cruisers, mostly classic ones but had some "newer" schwinns in the mix. We liked to cruise down at the beach and hit the bike meets around Orange County.
I picked up a 60's era Huffy tandem for $100 bucks at a meet in the mid 90's and decided to fix it up. It was rusty (surface) with flat tires and needed a lot of work. Had the frame blasted, the running gear re-chromed, added a Roadmaster springer and everything else was replaced with newer repop parts.
I ended up giving the bike to a good friend of mine since I stopped riding it and kinda lost interest in bikes...more like other hobbies took precedence. I can grab the tandem for a ride whenever I like and probably will...maybe i'll "borrow" it back permanently lol.

Fast forward to present day...recently picked up a Dyno Von Franco on CL and will be adding my own touches to it. Just finished stripping the spokes of its peeling paint and going to do a general cleanup. I'll post up pics in the appropriate forum, for now just thought i'd introduce myself...Dave

Some old pics of the tandem...before digital cameras lol

dscn0777.jpg

dscn0776.jpg

Last edited:
whats up Dave. i used to live on the other side of the mountains in Joshua Tree. i have always wanted to build a custom tandem with one of those frames.

whats up Dave. i used to live on the other side of the mountains in Joshua Tree. i have always wanted to build a custom tandem with one of those frames.

Nice...some great off roading up in that area.
Yeah these tandems have some great lines on them. I wasn't looking to build one when I got this but it was too cheap to pass up.

all the thieving tweekers ruined that place for me. i saw one of those tandems with a trike kit on it and it was one the coolest bikes i have ever seen. it had apes in the front and moon bars in the back.

Back