New member with an old frame

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello. My name is Aaron and I am from San Diego. I have been riding bikes in one form or another for 30 years. I have been mountain biking for the last 15 years. I have been collecting/restoring old mountain bikes for several years and I build modern bikes on occasion for friends and I build all my own bikes. Until recently my restorations/collecting has been confined to just mountain bikes. I have 3 late 80's Ritcheys, Some mid eighties Mountain Kleins, An 86 Mongoose along with my modern rigs, a 2008 Ellsworth Epiphany and a 2005 Cannondale 1fg. Here is one I recently finished:
IMG_0478.jpg

Currently I am in the process of rebuilding a 1993 Tom Teesdale built fillet brazed Brave Warrior Chief, one of only 5 built.
IMG_0414.jpg

I have always loved cruisers ever since my first 26 inch wheeled bike, a mid 80's Jamis Earth Cruiser, was my sole form of freedom and transport when I was a teenager. I have also always admired the modified incarnations of pre-war cruisers that the early pioneers of mountain biking rode and raced down Mount Tam and Repack hill. I have been searching for a reasonably priced frame but ever since that Clunkers movie came out the prices have gone way up.
Well last week I got lucky and found this:
IMG_0572.jpg

IMG_0576.jpg

IMG_0573.jpg

It has a Morro Skip-tooth hub and a few other bits. Despite the surface rust it is in very good condition. There is no internal rust and no pitting or flaking. The rust comes right off, a good media blasting, primer and paint should come out nicely. My intent is to build it as an off road bomber with truss rods, drum brake up front, morrow coaster in the rear, some Araya 7x rims, brooks saddle etc.
I have been reading and enjoying these forums and I hope I can find some good advice here. I am in uncharted territory of sorts because I have never tackled a Pre-War build like this. Maybe I will be successful or maybe I will totally screw it up. Either way it should be entertaining.

welcome !!! nice looking project ya got there too :D

i dont know squat about mtb parts but these guys always pull out some pretty cool parts on their klunker builds, cant wait to see what goes on the mercury !!!

Welcome aboard...I've been tempted for a while to start a Klunker section here...you may have just pushed me over the edge. :mrgreen:

Welcome, recognize your handle from mtbr. Looks like you've got a mixed basket of drivetrain parts, if you need some skip tooth stuff like chainrings or chains PM me I can probably set you up.

Well I finished the Brave in time to race it next weekend in the Vintage class at the Keyesville classic MTB gathering. It has taken the better part of a year. Moving on now to the Mercury. I will be cold setting the frame to accomodate 130mm spacing. I will be using a modern Nexus 8 speed internal hub with a roller brake in the rear and a sturmey archer front drum brake on Araya rims. Solid black high gloss powder coat with polished alloy parts. Skull skates moto style bars, Magura motorcycle brake levers, bmx Pro Neck stem, Brooks saddle and White industries cranks with a bmx style bottom bracket conversion and some big 2.35 Kenda Nevegal tires. This thing is going to be a tank. I can't wait. Here are some picks of the bikes I have completed.
IMG_1289.jpg

IMG_1288.jpg

IMG_1292-1.jpg

IMG_1293-1.jpg

IMG_1294-1.jpg

IMG_0483-1.jpg

IMG_0484-1.jpg

IMG_1277.jpg

IMG_1271.jpg

IMG_1267.jpg

Back