New pictures of Project #9

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I just got her all put together about an hour ago so these pictures are still dripping wet. Hindsight is always 20-20 and in said hindsight I think I under estimated the actual length of the Choppers US frame I bought. I'm 6'2" and the pedals are just a little close for me, maybe she will belong to a good shorter friend in the very near future. :D

So tomorrow I'm headed down to Carlsbad CA to meet up with the So-Cal Chopaderos for their end of summer ride. Should be a real hoot!

Talk later T

jaucls.jpg

2uz55s4.jpg

2vaicr6.jpg

Wow as of this morning 63 people have looked at it and not one single comment. You guys are lame... :mrgreen:

I'm going riding, "Screw you guys, I'm going home!" Eric Cartman.

Later T

Welcome to the club...I get 1500 views and 6 comments...

Nice frame ideas...and nice metal work

those are some fat tires! what size are they? I like the seat set up also. how it ride?

IronSpadeCycles said:
Wow as of this morning 63 people have looked at it and not one single comment. You guys are lame... :mrgreen:

ehh, we do get alot of "guest" traffic that cant post unless they join too, enjoy your ride ? :lol:

i am wondering if the front forks are rigid or not ? and is the bottom tube tapered ??

Hey man... I like it. I have two sets of those super fat rims I bought from US choppers that I have yet to get laced up... One 26 X 3 set and a 26 X 2.5 set.... You got me motivated to get goin on that project. How is the seat on ur ....? Does it spring when you pedal and if so does it throw you off a bit?

Anyway... Looks great. looks fun. I'm jealous

IronSpadeCycles said:

I'm going riding, "Screw you guys, I'm going home!" Eric Cartman.

Later T

Iron,
I don't think you're doing too bad, and that is a VERY nice build! That is a frame I looked at for a while, but never jumped on just for the reason you mention regarding pedal proximity to the seat... and I don't fold well! (old non-flexible fat guy)
:shock: :shock: :shock:
Funny you should mention the response rate/view..
Try this: (My last 5 build posts, not including the original "diamond frame" posting from the contest thread.)
1312 / 17
1316 / 25
519 / 10
225 / 0
310 / 3
Two caveats: These are more like modified stock frames, not custom built, and all are pretty much "more of the same" when it came right down to it.
I don't think a lot of people comment, but it seems that they DO look. You did build it for the enjoyment, right?
Comments are far more likely while you are out enjoying what you did.. I seem to get a whole lot more that way, and it doesn't bug me at all!

Iron,
I forgot something... an important something.
Look at the people who are making the comments and the stuff they've done - I noticed some people who have built some REALLY neat stuff making the comments... Maybe that is a true reflection to the work?

Just another thought.

Rat Royale
REC Elsewhere

Thanks everyone for the kind words, I just got back to the OC from Carlsbad. The ride was a killer time and I met some great people. I wish that I had had more time to finalize this bike and build more custom parts for it. The seat surprizingly was quite comfortable although I needed stiffer springs but that's all Ace Hardware had on short notice.

The chopper seat will get a make over in the very near future with a leaf spring like my other bikes. The fork didn't workout so well. As a downhill bike fork it works great but set up in a regular frame with 20 or so degrees not in a cruiser with 45+ degrees of rake. It was like a rigid with about 1/2" of travel and taking corners the tire would rub the legs, oh well what are you going to do?

I've got an idea for a sweet girder fork that I should have figured out soon. Also I had to modify the coaster brake hanger for that frame and the first time I hammered down to lockup the brake it broke the steel hanger extension and then brakes were via "Flintstones". Climbing was a real bear as well, I think a gear ratio change is in order. Although its a 38/18 with 175mm cranks, I would have preferred more like a 32/18 or even 28/18 with these cranks. Those tires create a lot of rolling resistance! Not sure I like the tread pattern either. Maybe I can find a different tire like something from Electra or overseas. We'll see.

For now I've got to pack up everything as I'm moving over the next two weeks back to Texas. I'm planning on setting up shop somewhere in the Austin area by the new year. Anyway I'll be around, talk to yal real soon, later Tex

Back