NEW PURCHASE COLUMBIA FIRE ARROW NEED INFO ON DATE!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
picked this up yesterday at a yard sale for $60bucks! didn't think that was bad considering it has the new departure 2speed and horn tank! :D it is rough but all there except for the headlight. plan on this being a winter resto project to resell or keep, we'll see how that goes after it's done! :lol: can anyone date this for me or lead me some where i can get some info on the date? the serial number on the left rear dropout is B 69294. also, is this a snyder frame?
106_4868.jpg

That's a 1956 number, they started usind the same #'s from 1936 a year earlier, but it's fairly easy to tell a 30s bike from a 50s version. And, Westfield built all Columbias, that was their main brand, just like Rollfast was Snyder's main line. Westfield also built bikes for almost every dept. store/tire store at some point. And that's a sweet find w/the tank! They only made that straight bar middleweight for a few years in the mid 50s. ~Adam

Rustinkerer said:
That's a 1956 number, they started usind the same #'s from 1936 a year earlier, but it's fairly easy to tell a 30s bike from a 50s version. And, Westfield built all Columbias, that was their main brand, just like Rollfast was Snyder's main line. Westfield also built bikes for almost every dept. store/tire store at some point. And that's a sweet find w/the tank! They only made that straight bar middleweight for a few years in the mid 50s. ~Adam

Adam is right on with everything. Here is the Columbia SN chart posted for me by Mark:

http://oldroads.com/co_sn.asp

Columbia's were made by Westfield, as Adam mentioned, the same way Sndyer made Rollfast bikes. Wetfield's/Columbia's were made up in my backyard in Westfield, MA. The actual plant is now a museum of some kind... the 2 speed setup should be a Bendix two speed manual shift- like a ND two speed, but not as desirable/valuable. I had one on a cruiser, and it really did go nicely! As a warning, be very careful if you service the hub- my axle was bent and I forgot a bearing, and the hub locked up so bad... I fought it for two or three hours trying to get it apart again. :x That's a sweet looking bike, I'd just wax it, service it, and ride the tires off. :D Nice patina!

WAX IT!? there has to be paint to wax!!! :lol: i did throw on a used set of uniroyal chain treads today and take her for a spin. the hub shifts great and it rode pretty decent considering it is missing about 5 spokes in a row in the rear wheel!!! :shock: i was just waiting for the rear wheel to fold at any second. took the tank off and the horn will work no problem after some fresh batteries and a little cleaning on the contacts. :D

Latest posts

Back