NEW RRB BRASS HEAD BADGE

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That would be awesome with an antique finish. Personally I'd black out the background and leave the lettering and stars in brass with a little antique finishing.

If you want to age it all you have to do is carry it on your hand every where you go. It will start getting that aged color do to your sweat. Leaving it outside to the element for a few days would do the trick also.

The badge doesn't have any holes since it would be impossible to drill holes to accommodate for every brand out there. If you don't mind drilling new holes on your frame then you can drill holes on the center stars on the badge since its the best place for bolts without disturbing the art. Then there is 3M double sided tape. Skinniest tape I know and the badge will not fall. You can get it at home depot.

I'm curious - what sort of tooling was needed to make this? I'm guessing that machining from billet would be prohibitive. Was it cast? Hand stamped? I'd like to know how readily different variations would be to produce. Not that there is anything wrong with this design by any means, but I've thought recently of making my own badge(s). I was thinking of a decal, but this might open up new possibilities...

expjawa said:
I'm curious - what sort of tooling was needed to make this? I'm guessing that machining from billet would be prohibitive. Was it cast? Hand stamped? I'd like to know how readily different variations would be to produce. Not that there is anything wrong with this design by any means, but I've thought recently of making my own badge(s). I was thinking of a decal, but this might open up new possibilities...

There was a thread about this a while back involving an acid etch process. Not sure that's how this was made. I'll see if I can find a link for you.

Very cool badge... One more bid and I am done for though... :cry:

First let me just say that its not a for sure thing the creations of more. This badge is not done by a machine which stamps them out hundreds by the minute. They are acid etched and to get that really cool deep etch it takes me close to 4 hours to make one. Not the 20 minutes like the tutorial says. Like a good chef when you learn a new recipe you must perfected in a way using secret ingredients in which it can not be duplicated and have a constant ending result.

Almost the same is not the same!

With that said, if there is a production run of the badge the difference will be the TM mark. The prototype doesn't have the TM mark since the main purpose was to get a reaction of the design and so far I think all of you have liked it. Who knows maybe we will have different designs by years. This one be in the first year. Maybe during the year a limited run on special edition badge. But it all depends on all of you since rat rod bikes is a copyright mark and nobody can go creating their own badge and calling it an official licensed rat rod bikes product!

Axe,
I think all of those are good ideas. The annual badge thing is brilliant...kinda like the Fat Tire Bikes, but for headbadges...something most of us can afford.
Others...Axe is right about the time and effort that goes into making one off head badges...especially using the etching process. That he gets the high level of detail and quality on his pieces is just short of amazing. These badges take time and effort. There is just something about the etched badge that is so much cooler than stamped out badges. I've seen jewelers making custom badges on line and their badges are like $95 up....nice work, but a little too...I dunno...jewelry like.
I personally hope Axe and Steve can get this thing off the ground, but understand, these ain't being punched out by the hundreds on an assembly. This is art, designed, and hand made...just my one cent :D

ratina said:
Custom badges for build off winners each year would be cool
That would be cool. We should also have build off categories like in a car show. Best of show, best burrito, best clunker, best custom frame, best non-custom frame, Best use of accessory, Best modification, Editor's choice, Oldest bike, exc. Best of show would get the trophy and others get a smaller prize like a head badge or RRB stickers. Then maybe charge a dollar entry fee per bike to down-set the cost and raise money for RRB. This would also allow us to build more bikes and multiple entries.

Back