new schiwnn for me.

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After a year of searching, I finally found a schwinn stingray. I picked it up thursday night not to far from my home. It needs a total rebuild, but it is all there.It looks like someone painted it and also over the chrome fenders and forks. A real shame though, but it is going to get re chromed at one point. The seat is not in good shape and I will have to find a new cover or a new seat. It has a big rip in it. It also came with the rear sissy bar shocks for the seat. A cool part that will be put on. Over all it looks like a great project for me. I looked at the serial number and I can't tell what the second letter is. The number is...DEL9195 April 1969or DEF9195 April 1970. The number is on the left drop out. So that would mean it was build in 1969? I can't wait to get back into original shape again.
P3280001.jpg

P3280003.jpg

P3280004.jpg

P3280007.jpg

P3280014.jpg

P3280006.jpg

Nice bike, until you can get it rechromed you could strip the paint off and put polishing compound or use some glass cook top cleaner on the chrome

Nice find although I disagree...I think its a J33 (?) StingRay. The springer appears to be for a 20" front tire...not a 16" that a Krate would have...I could be wrong though.J33's are more rare...well maybe not more rare than a coaster Krate ...I'm jes say'in...P 8)

I think it is a coaster lemon peeler. The springer looks out of place with a 20 inch wheel where it wouldn't look out of place with a 16 inch wheel. Coaster Krates started in 1970 so the second letter could be an F not an E. There may still be nice chrome under the paint you never know. Great find. Matt

I agree, Krate bike! Seat, shocks on sissy bar, springer, and chainguard all scream Krate to me. Great find. Needs a 16" front wheel.

thanks for the info on the bike everyone. I was not sure myself if it was a lemon peeler or a Krate. The front wheel is not the original. i will scrape off the paint to get a better look at the serial number. I will look for a 16 inch wheel to put on the front. Does anyone know if there are new seat covers and decals out there? I would like to get some.

Well,like I said...I could be wrong. Pete Seat at Hyperformance.com , am I remembering that right?...P 8)

I checked out that site. Wow he has the stuff to get it going. I do have a question though. How does the front fender hook up.It hooks on to the front axle then there is a hole were the fender would attach to the top of the fork but it does not mount like that. Is there a part I am missing? A extension for it?

Back