New Schwinn Root Beer

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
The wifey drug me to Target today so she could shop. I wandered back to the bikes to see what they had to look at. Found three Schwinn Gateway Hybrids marked down to $45! I normally wouldn't have looked twice at them but for that price, parts is parts. 700c (marked 28") wheel set, 5 speed. Might even see a little road time first.

2011-02-11153239.jpg

Rat Rod said:
That bike was $45. :shock:

I didn't have my truck when we first saw them so I had to go back on my way to work. One of them was already gone and big retailers won't haggle on price or I would have bought the last one as well.

Sweet. I end up with all the damaged bikes from targets in my area whether it be in shipping or getting returned. I have gotten a couple of those that have given me some great parts. They are cool bikes especially for $45. Matt

I'm going to check our local Target tommorow. I wanted that bike when I first saw it, but I really didn't need it. If they have any I'm going to pick one up.

I like it. Nice color and retro style but heavy. Looked up the spec's - 44lbs :shock:

Ideal for local runs to the pharmacy, bank and supermarket and riding with the kids.
Rear rack can handle a bolt on basket for grocery shopping.

I'm working on a Gary Fisher diamond frame with Nexus 7 hub for local runs. I also picked up a ratty Schwinn Racer 3 speed Sturmey Archer and a Raleigh Sport 3 speed Sturmey for the wife but for $45 I'd buy that and not worry about leaving it on the street with a simple lock.

John

Hey, I got the same bike for the same price! Great deal just for the parts, but I may just tweak it out and ride it. No grease on v-brake axles/spring (by the way are cheaply made), brake cable on wrong side of anchor bolt, derailleur not adjusted properly, front and rear axle not centered properly and could use more grease, also had to true up each wheel, etc. Alot of work, but still worth it to me! I took the rack and fenders off already. I may take off chain guard, single-speed it, put some mtb bars on it, and some cyclo tires! Pics to come soon.

Metal Militia said:
i checked our target on our trip today, and they were still full price. nice scores.

Same here, full price on all bikes in the store. It must be a district thing.

I was hoping to use the fenders, wheels, & rack for another bike. There was another bike that I would have liked the wheels off of. They looked like deep Vs.

nice score anyway ,,,always good for parts ...or just sell it 4 80 bucks n make some money ...there is a kmart up here thats goin out of buisness ....should be marked down 2 like 50% this week ...there bike rack and supply rack is packed full ....i cant wait till stuff is like 75 to 80 % off ...im gonna stock up on tires tubes ..maybe a bike or 3 or 4 ...

Back