New to bikes

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone, my name is Morgan I'm 31 live in Norcal and I just bought an early 60's (at least thats what I think it is) columbia bike. I think it has a lot of potential and I look forward to building this over the next few months. So far I think I will paint it black, ad or build a tank of some sort for it, and put in a shimano 3 spd rear hub with coaster brake....oh and brick red tires. This is my first old bike and I don't know much about them, but I have lots of mechanical ability....so wish me luck, I'm sure I'll have lots of questions for you guys.

Questions like can I fit a springer front end on this?
Do most of you prefer powder coat or paint?
And how do I remove the head badge without damaging it?

Here is a pic of my new ride.
Any and all input is appreciated

IMG_1762.jpg

Thanks for the welcome everyone. Yes I live in Sacramento myself and have always been into the VW scene. I've owned around 20 different VW's and am fixing up this Baywindow to take the Family Camping!

I figured a cruiser would be a nice winter project that would not cost me thousands. Between Family,the Bike, the Bus, and brewing Beer I have plenty to keep me entertained.

I'm hoping to score some New tires for the Bike this weekend and maybe some other goodies. I'll post up pics as I get things done.

Welcome VDUBMAN...I've owned about 5 VWs myself, but had to let em go when I moved to the midwest. My first was a 69 bay, then a 69 bug. Got rid of the bay and picked up a 65 split, and was also given a 78 bay. Then the engine on my 69 bug caught on fire b/c the fuel filter came loose, so i sold that. Then traded the 65 split for an original, partially restored 63 bug, which i gave to my little brother to take care of. Finally donated the 78 bay to a charity when the wife and I moved to the midwest. I love VDubs...

I've always built lowriders while I was in Cali, then got into other hobbies when I moved. I'm now back to bikes but in the realm of cruisers. And now, this site.

I've always been a fan of the springer fork. I'm may try a chopper fork on my latest project, or may stick to the springer.

if you buy a springer, make sure the steer tube is proper length. Remove that one and measure it.

seems to me that most people on RRB spray paint, but there are more than enough powder coat fans.

removing the head badge... slowly, by drilling the rivets? replace rivets with small brass screws? just an idea, others might have different methods.

Thanks for the tips. I started a post in the builds section so I can post my progress there. HOpefully this weekend will be productive!

Welcome!

You bike is a Murray built, not Columbia. If it has a Columbia badge it was added later.

1. There are Springers that will fit, but any springer can be modified to fit.
2. I would love to powder coat all my bikes but due to the cost, most are rattle bombed.
3. To remove the head badge- remove the forks and use a screwdriver or wrench to shove the tap-in rivets out far enough to grab them with a pair of pliers.

I miss my '69 Bug-Truck.

Welcome from up the road alittle, need parts ? look up vintage bicycle supply ther in sac.

Welcome from a former VW owner and neighbor to the south/west. I'm out in Livermore as a few others here but work in the Stockton area.

I prefer powder coating myself, but it helps that I work in a sheetmetal shop where we use powder for all of our stuff.

Definately pay a visit to Mike over at Vintage Bicycle Supply. There is quite a custom bike following in the Sacto area so you're in luck.

If you can escape from the family on Thanksgiving in the morning, the Turkey day ride is listed in the Events section. Many of us will be there with a variety of customs.

I've always been an early model enthusiest myself with a 67 sunroof bug as my first car and a 61 two-fold sunroof about 5 years ago.

udallcustombikes said:
Welcome!

You bike is a Murray built, not Columbia. If it has a Columbia badge it was added later.

What tells you its a Murray? Is it still a 60's model?

karfer67 said:
welcome from sacramento as well (galt actually for me)

I actually grew up in Herald and went to Galt high Graduated in '97
M.Martian said:
Welcome from a former VW owner and neighbor to the south/west. I'm out in Livermore as a few others here but work in the Stockton area.

I prefer powder coating myself, but it helps that I work in a sheetmetal shop where we use powder for all of our stuff.

Definately pay a visit to Mike over at Vintage Bicycle Supply. There is quite a custom bike following in the Sacto area so you're in luck.

If you can escape from the family on Thanksgiving in the morning, the Turkey day ride is listed in the Events section. Many of us will be there with a variety of customs.

I've always been an early model enthusiest myself with a 67 sunroof bug as my first car and a 61 two-fold sunroof about 5 years ago.

I actually picked up this one at their Bike Swap last weekend I think Mike sold it to me if I'm not mistaken, lots of cool bikes there!

Also I'm glad to see so many VW enthusiasts on here. I wonder what it is about Bikes that attracts so many VW lovers?

Thanks for the heads up. I guess someone fitted a columbia badge on it to fool people? ............ either way its going to be a fun build. In the powder coat shop now and can't wait to re-assembel it!

Back