new to old bikes find #1

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My neighbor gave me some old bikes from his barn. Here is the first one:

I dont know much of anything about old bikes, but from reading this forum, found a local guy who is helping me. Gary (B607) advised me to post pics and let the experts tell me what I ended up with. The guy who gave me the bike said it was his older brothers bike from the late 40's. It came with an old ahooga horn that is mounted to the handlebars. It has been sitting out in the weather for years and is pretty rusty. I don't know if it is worth messing with, but I am having fun and learning a little taking it apart. Thanks for any info you can give me! Zak

Awesome bike! Get some new tires, lube the heck out of it, remove the lock then ride it as is.

That's the plan :) (once I get the stubborn knurled retainer off the headset) Soaking it with pb blaster several times a day now! I think I need some new wheels as mine are pretty rough!

The DX frame is a great platform for custom rat or "klunker" build. The head badge is worth a few bucks, but I'd keep it with the frame. The sprocket, hub, and 1" pitch chain are worth saving too, those parts are getting hard to find.

Thanks Deorman

I just started reading about klunkers. I just looked at your gallery. Pretty cool stuff! What would you do about the incomplete saddle? What looks good on this type of frame, and is comfortable that can be bought reasonable?

Latest posts

Back