new to old bikes find #2

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The 2nd bike I was given appears to be a Belgium built Western Flyer kids cruiser. It has 20" wheels. I didn't get a good close up before dis assembly, but did get this shot of it with my daughter who wants to ride it!

Unfortunately, Gary B607 from this site helped me tear the hub apart and I have some broken parts. Any idea if I can find parts?

The broken parts are the little metal clips that hold the 4 parts in the lower left (brake pads???) together in this pic:

I am also stuck with the headset removal. I am totally new to working on bikes (and really much of anything mechanical) and cant figure out how to get the headset off. It seems like I need a tool to fit into the 3 notches. Where could I get one? For now I am soaking it doen with pb blaster.

how do i remove this??

A spanner wrench (Ithink its called) would be the perfect tool to remave the headset nut, But if its not locked up you can try a pair of channel locks. However they could scar it up if they slip. You can always buy a new headset, and may need to for 10 to 15 bucks. As far as the badge, once you get the fork and cups off, get one of those Z shaped screwdrivers (flat on one side, phillips on the other) lower into the steer tube (phillips side) positioned over the rivit and hit the other end with a hammer. Once its out far enough, you can grab it with pliers or a pair of dikes. Or just take a grinder it the rivits and use screws to put it back on.

Our bike collective fabricated a special set of channel-locks with a "tooth" ground into the end of each jaw. They work like a charm on these out-sized lock rings...bottom brackets, too.

Okay, I found the part you need for your rear hub. If you would pm me your postal address I will get it shipped pdq. We don't want that little girl to have to wait too long to ride that bike.

Latest posts

Back