new to rat bikes

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,

I'm from the UK, a place where vintage scrap beach cruiser and track frames do not exist, at least not in my neck of the woods.

I have a wife and four kids so the idea of building a bike which costs nothing is quite attractive, I don't know what cost more the kids or the wife!!! Anyhow, managed to pick up two mountain bikes from for free, both saracens, one is a cheap full suspension piece of junk and the other a jump style bike see pic.

one of these

saracenzen631-280-75.jpg

So far I've resprayed the frame British racing green and rebadged it as a Royal Enfield, I've flipped the bars and added an old style headlamp, I didn't have any grips so I made some by wrapping an old 700c innertube round the bar and winding a strip of leather (part of my brothers old leather jacket) over the top, now I have non slip leather grips. For bar end caps I've used two whiskey bottle tops. I don't have a seatpost so I've strapped the saddle to the frame, again covered with leather (hope he doesn't want it back!)

The rear gear hanger was missing but I wanted it singlespeed anyway so I got an old axle fit derailleur and mounted on the inside of the frame as a chain tensioner. It's getting there, Ideally I want the saddle further back above the rear wheel but can't for the life of me find any right angled seatposts, a layback just looks wrong as I want the saddle as low as possible if anyone knows how to fix a saddle so the front sits on the seat tube I'd be very grateful.

1.jpg
2.jpg

Parts I want are full fenders, chainguard, kickstand and a cycle rack with panniers, preferably leather but I've run out of jacket.

I've called it number seven as It's my seventh bike and quite possibly my last as my workshop can't hold any more!!

Love this site, it's like an oasis in the desert of people who just don't get it.

welcome.
i like what yuo are doing with this.
in the bottom right picture, do u have a seatpost??? or did you just lay your seat there for the picture??

I don't have aseatpost so I've strapped the saddle direct to the frame. I'm going to make a bobber saddle for it using the kicktail of an old skateboard as a base.

Welcome to the insanity!

Here is the seat on my bike at work
2lo15xw.jpg

16jixz7.jpg

I found a couple brackets made to hold two pipes parallel and used them to hold the seat post on one side and the seat tube on the other. It let me drop the seat back about 3" and set it on the tire.

loots neat,

Managed to get my seat way way back, found an old seatpost from a GT bmx, it's got a strange setup which enables me to attach a seatpost at a right angle to the gt post, I really should get some pics up here, bike looks very different now.

Latest posts

Back