New to site, from PA, Trying to ID a bike for my dad

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,
I am new to this site, and like the subject line says, I am trying to ID a bike for my dad and figure out how much it is worth. He just got it, and he doesn't know how to use a computer, so I am his Internet Lackey. The bike says "three star columbia" on it, and it says "columbia built" and has a metal decal on the front that says "westfield." There is what appears to be an after-market basket, and the fenders, chain guard, and little headlight all appear to be original, as does the seat. Someone put a sticker on the back bumper, but there is no other defacing of the bike that I can tell.
I really appreciate any help that you all can give to me, even if it's just pointing me to a site where there are pictures of similar bikes. I did a search on eBay for sold items, and turned up a three-star columbia that sold for $1400. Is this bike in that neighborhood, value-wise? If anyone can tell us more about when they think it was made, and what the difference is between "columbia" and "westfield," then that would be cool. My dad loves a good story and would be interested to hear about anything related to the bike's history.
From a google image search, I think this is a mid 1950's girls' bike, but that is all I can figure out. Of course, my dad wants to know a lot more than that, haha.
I am at your mercy. From looking around this site, you all have probably forgotten more than I will ever know about bikes!
Thanks a bunch,
Jay

PS. He is also wondering about reconditioning the bike, whether it will hurt the value to wax or clean it, and what the best way is to go about that without ruining the thing. He's not terribly interested in selling it, but he hates to deface antiques. He loves to collect antiques, and is not a bike enthusiast per se-- but he respects the fact that this bike is in nice condition and wants to do what he can to preserve it. Thanks again.

Someone just pointed me to the Bike I.D. section of this forum, so I reposted my questions over there! Thanks!

Back