New to the bike world

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm a new guy to building bikes, never ridden much though, so we'll see what I do with a bike I just picked up. I'm not new to wrenching though, I've done all sorts of work to my Grand Prix GTP. A guy I work with is into bikes and I picked one up from him to try it out. All I know is that it is a Beacon cruiser of some sort, at least early 80s I pressume, single speed, all original it looks like. The bike needs some TLC so it'll be a good beginning project. He also gave me a 71 Schwinn 3 speed rear wheel and matching front, head/tail light, seat, rim brake, and handle bars.

Plans are to leave the frame alone since the petina is nice, really no rust besides a few chips, those 3 speed Schwinn wheels with whitewall tires, seat, handlebars, brakes, leave the fenders and chain guard on. The frame is green so I'll replace anything chrome with either bronze, white, or cream coloring. Maybe a springer front and 2 speed front gear set if I'm feeling ambitious and do some digging on swaps. I'll have it as a road/cruiser if I ever feel like actually riding it. If not it was fun for a learning experience.

Heres the bike, I don't have much room so it gets stuffed by my car parts/tool.

2012-07-03_13-21-48_232.jpg

You probably would be the best of help for me since I'm in Tallahassee as well. Right now I'm disassembling the bike, seeing what hardware I need to replace and such.

Also found what I assume is the serial number on the bottom of the frame where the pedals are 8250083, 82 or 83 for manufacture date?

Latest posts

Back