New to the Board in Denton Texas

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm 24, going to UNT and dig bikes.

When I'm not in class I do audio production at a little voiceover/narration studio where we do radio stuff, audiobooks and stuff like that. We also do some video and a couple other media-related things. I'm the guy who fixes everything. On the weekends I run live sound and lights for bands. When I'm not working or in class, I'm riding.

Been at this since I was 12. I've owned somwhere around 14 bikes over the last 12 years...don't know if that's a lot compared to some people on here. The collection peaked at 7 at one time when I was 15 or 16.

Currently I'm down to 4:

- The Pride and Joy Red 1977 Schwinn Typhoon that's my daily rider. I've done 25 & 50 mile rides on this bike too.

- Red Huffy Daisy Daisy cantilever tandem (that I'm never going to sell)

- Black 20" 1966 Schwinn Typhoon/Fake Stingray (Typhoon with apehangers and a banana seat). This one's the designated beater and most rat-like of the bunch so far. When I got it, everything that could possibly be loose on it was, and all the bearings were totally dry. I've since remedied these things and even though the bike looks totally beat, it rides like new.

- Formerly red, now in gray primer 26" cantilever Sears, currently completely dismantled. Picked it up when I was 13 and started customizing it - skirted the stays with sheet metal and Bondo, filled in a couple other areas, filled all the joints to give it a smooth Schwinn-style brazed look. Kinda lost interest in it by the time I was 15 and didn't want to spend any more time or money on it so its been sitting. Decided that I didn't want to make it into some shiny custom bike that I won't want to ride, and am in the process of ratting it out. All I have to do is paint, lace and true the rims, shoot some flat black on it and put it back together.

That's it for now, but I've got my eye on a Schwinn road bike that's been sitting chained to a friend's neighbor's fence...its a big house with lots of rented rooms and the bike has not moved since my friends moved in in May. The chain is rusted and the tires are flat so its obviously been abandoned. Just to be safe I'm gonna ask the next door people if I can take it, and I'll have myself a fixed gear project.

Welcome to ratdom!

I'm a UNT grad...class of 96'....SOVA.

Just curious how you found the forum.

Enjoy the ride!

[email protected] replied to a craigslist ad I posted looking for new bearing for my little Typhoon - recommended the shop in Carrollton. Ratrodbikes.com sounded interesting so I checked it out.

(I never got any new bearings, I'm running the front hub without the cages and it seems to work just fine. All the other bearings were in their cages and in good shape.)

I am going to check out Bicycle Exchange for some 26" rims though since I can't seem to find the originals.

Welcome. Enjoy
JT

room203 said:
[email protected] replied to a craigslist ad I posted looking for new bearing for my little Typhoon - recommended the shop in Carrollton.

That would be me. :wink:

I've got a set of aluminum 26" coaster brake rims to sell if you're interested....you may need chrome though.

Glad you made it to the forum!

If they're just rims (I already have hubs and spokes) and paintable, I'm interested.

There the whole wheel...got them from a junked Giant cruiser someone was selling.

Somebody on this forum is bound to have what you need.

The guys at Bicycle Exchange should also have them....ask for Mitch...tell him Rat Rod Bikes sent ya. :wink:

Back