New to the boards, starting my first project

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone! I found the site through StumbleUpon and decided to do some work on my bike. It's an old Schwinn Sidewinder that has been sitting in my garage for as long as I can remember. I have a Specialized Hardrock that is what I've been riding for years, but am going to convert the Schwinn into something I can ride in the city when I go back to college.

The board looks great and I hope to learn a lot!

sidewinderam7.jpg

btw- I'm having a hard time getting the front fork off. Any ideas?

Nevermind about the fork. I got it off. :)

Now I just need to go buy a chain tool tomorrow. Oh and does anybody know how to get the drive train off of a mountain bike? I assume the pedals are all one part, but I have no idea how to go about taking them out of the hub. Help please! :)

Hey thanks man. I'm going to get a chain tool today so hopefully I'll fininsh the teardown by tonight.

Does anyone know if I can convert this bike into a fixed gear? Does anyone have experience with conversions for multi-geared bikes?

Well I got a chain tool today for $12 and can't wait to get off work to go home and finish the breakdown!

Does anyone know if heating and bending the front forks on a jib will damage their structural integrity? If I want a stretched front am I going to have to custom fab up a new fork? Thanks!

where are you trying to bend them? the headtube? if its going to be a sharper bend you might have a problem with the tubing collapsing but as for heating them just quench them with oil itll keep those pesky molecules in place... water is a bad thing! itll make them brittle

I'm not sure where I'm going to bend them yet, but I do want to either stretch or lower the front end a little bit. What do you mean by using oil instead of water?

On a side note I have a logo attached to the front of the bike that is held in place by what looks like two metal studs. Is there any way to get this off without tearing it off? A specialized tool maybe? Any help is appreciated!

I was driving to class this morning and saw that a road bike had been discarded in a pile of trash. I didn't have time to stop and prayed that it would still be there by the time I got home. Sure enough it was still there! I am now the proud (new) owner of a Trek 330! The sprockets are bent, as is the front wheel, but I think this has the potential to be an even better project than the Sidewinder. :mrgreen:

trek.jpg

Well I replaced the front fork and got a new freewheel for it today. Hopefully I can get a new picture up of the stripped frame. I'm really wanting to get a new crank tomorrow too. So far I need: a new crank, spacers for the rear wheel, a new front wheel, tires, brake lines, tape for the bars, brake dust covers, and a new chain. Thats all I can think of so far. I might need a new rear axle too. I've apparently misplaced the one I took off... :roll:

Back