New wheels, what would you buy?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok,

So, lets say you had a project sitting around and you were tired of not having it on the road. All that you needed was a set of 26" wheels. You have been looking for an old set with a skip tooth hub and all, but don't see one around. And, you decide to just order a brand new wheel set with a coaster brake (and a new chain wheel to replace your skip tooth, of course). What would you get?

I have a New Departure skip tooth wheel set off this bike if you are interested.

I have not cleaned either hub, but rode the bike around a bit before I parted it out.

The brake works. The rims don't match. PM if interested.

DSC06293640-1.jpg

DSC00266640.jpg

DSC00273640.jpg

DSC00270640.jpg

If you can't get a set of old skiptooth style wheels, go the way I would go, cheap. I would get a beach cruiser cheap off CL or a pawn shop, or Goodwill. Then I'd have a chainwheel, cranks and other extra parts that I could use, tires too. Chrome or alloy wheels also.

you don't have to buy a chain ring too, just grind off every other tooth of your new rear wheel's cog.

Wildcat said:
If you can't get a set of old skiptooth style wheels, go the way I would go, cheap. I would get a beach cruiser cheap off CL or a pawn shop, or Goodwill. Then I'd have a chainwheel, cranks and other extra parts that I could use, tires too. Chrome or alloy wheels also.

I try and get all my wheels off $20 bikes. usually get some other good stuff too. :roll:

I paid $5.00 for this and got more than my money's worth! Chain Ring & Crank Shaft, Chain, Wheels & Tires that cleaned up nicely, Bottom Bracket Bearings, Handle Bars, A real bargain. I rode my Rollfast "Springer" with these Wheels & Tires until I got my custom 144 spoke wheels for Christmas...the chainring is still on the Rollfast. Right now the wheels and tires are hanging in my "Stable" waiting for the next rusty bomb that makes it's way to my house.

6984944.jpg

I'm the same way. I've ground the teeth off on the cog on my 49 schwinn bfgoodrich. They looked identical to old dropcenters but have the weld line that is only noticable if you look for it. I also have wheels off of $5 huffys that cleaned up nice. You never want to buy new coaster brake wheels from a bike shop because they start out at $90 a set usually. You can buy a brand new bike from walmart for that cost and get the same low quality and all of those other parts too.

Back