Newb from Chicago

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone, newb from Chicago here! For the longest time, Ive been wanting to build up some custom cruiser bike... just never got around to it.. but in a conversation last week with my fiance, she told me that theres a "banana seat" bike in her grandmas garage. I hopped on that!

(pics will be available during the week)

I actually found 2 bikes there..
- 70s? Schwinn Typhoon- Pretty decent shape for the age, but its small. Im confused on these bikes.. when I measure the neck of the frame to the seat post bar, I get 16 inches, but the wheels are 20 inches. What is this considered?

the other

-80s? Huffy Desert Rose ( ya its a chicks bike) w/ banana seat... kinda rusty, 16 inch frame on 20s. Figured Id pimp it out for my lil cousins for when they come over and make it a hobby.

Since Im 6'3 220 lbs... i wanted something for myself, so after shopping Craigslist yesterday, I scored a Schwinn Speedster ( 20 inch frame on 24 inch wheels) for $50. Needs some work but I have some sick ideas!

I already have a ton of questions, so Ill do my research first by seraching previous posts... and if not answered... ill ask!

But a real quick question... what considers the size of the bike? the frame or wheels?

Thanks
Mark

Welcome Mark!

Typically the wheel size is the determining factor in how you refer to a vintage bike.

The road and MTB folks typically all run 26" wheels and bigger and they are more concerned with the fit of the bike so they go by frame size most of the time.

Allllllright... Ive been hibernating since my first/last post 8) but I did pop in this site to glance at some of whats out there to help me figure out which route I wanted to go.... well heres my invetory ive accumilated over this winter :D 11 bikes to be exact!
Heres what I have:
- 24" Miami Sun Trike (my first project 8) fat tires and engine coming soon)
- 24" Schwinn Speedster (2nd project)
-(3) OCC Stingrays (for parts)
- West Coast Chopper (undecided if project or parts)
- twisted lowrider frame 20 inch (project)
- Magna (BMX for parts)
- 16" Schwinn Typhoon (leaving as is...found at my grandmas house)
- 24" GT Bullet ( bmx cruiser project)
- 20" Huffy Desert Storm (started as project... now parts

I feel in love with the black trike I found on here...with fat tire/rims (OCC).. within a week I scored 3 OCC Stingrays and the Miami Sun Trike.

- SKIPTON.. Im from Des Plaines..hoping to have the Trike completed within a month...and Ill def be checking some shows out. Theres a show coming April 3 in Addison.. hope to be done by then. http://chicago.craigslist.org/wcl/bik/2235655298.html

Marksphone065.jpg

3m33oc3pb5O25V65U3a7v7a2d543f32461a42.jpg

Thanks! appreciate it... ill do my best to complete one of these by then... but if I dont make it .. like how often do you guys meet up during spring/summer?

Back