Newbie build

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all!

I just posted a brief intro, but I wanted to go into a little more detail on my first rat build. I pulled 7-old crusty 70's bikes from my neighbor's shed a couple weeks ago, and started getting ideas for some rat/custom/cruiser builds. This first one is and idea I had of what it might be like to find an early 70's pre-mountain bike languishing in a barn somewhere. I wanted something that would be rideable on & off road, as well as being comfortable & reliable, and able to climb hills.

I started with this frame - a late-70's Coast-to-Coast 10-speed. It's hard to tell, but the fork leg is rusted all the way through!, the frame seems pretty solid though.
IMG_0580.jpg

I stole most of the parts from this one, a mid-70's All-Pro Kmart bike.
IMG_0576.jpg

IMG_0586.jpg

The brakes came from this Western Flyer 10-speed.
IMG_0581.jpg

I picked up a pair of Mavic wheels from ebay for $50-shipped, and got some new tires/tubes/cables from my friend's shop.
IMG_0587.jpg

I cleaned the frame & hit it with a coat of Rustoleum Rusty Metal primer.
IMG_0588.jpg

Though there was a bit of a clearance issue with the back tire. Some lumber and a monkeywrench solved that problem! I did scratch my brand-new paint job in the process, but it was a little too nice for most of the parts going on it anyway. :lol:
IMG_0589.jpg

I'm hoping to finish it up tonight. I still need to get the brakes & shifter hooked up, but it rides nice as-is! I'll probably do some pinstriping on it, but I don't want to go too overboard.
IMG_0593.jpg

I'd hoped to used the full-size fenders from the parts bike, but they wouldn't clear the tires. As it was, the front tire barely clears the fork.

Thanks for the warm welcome!

No M1 helmets, just a couple Brittish ones and a Civil Defense one. They're not even mine, actually. I run a little shop in the evenings doing PC/printer repair, antiques/consignments/eBay, and even a little bicycle/guitar repair - basically, anything I can to help make a buck. I do have a several military training books from the late 50's/early 60's that belonged to Axl Rose's uncle. Lol

Got it on the road last night, it rides really nice - much better than I expected, and much better than the sum of its(junk) parts. I had some old brake pads from the 80's that I soaked down with WD40 while I was putting everything together & it actually worked really well. Nice & sticky!

There's only a couple issues I need to sort out: The front tire rubs slightly on the fender, and the pedal bearings are a bit loose...here's a dumb question though - how do I adjust the pedal bearings on these cheap stamped-steel pedals that don't have bearing caps?

I'll get some detailed pics in a couple days, but here's one of it all together for now.

IMG_0594.jpg

I agree on the rims & tires. I had planned to use these wheels on something else, but I wanted wider/knobby tires on this bike & these were the only ones I could make fit!

I finally got some decent pics last night.

Our town barber rents the back room of my building. I really dig his 1957 barber chair, so I had to work it into a shot.
ratbike1005.jpg

ratbike1007.jpg

ratbike1008.jpg

ratbike1009.jpg

ratbike1006.jpg

ratbike1011.jpg

ratbike1014.jpg

ratbike1015.jpg

Thanks everyone!

Don't worry, I haven't been babying it. I took it down some stairs a couple times & hopped a couple curbs last night. I'll hit some trails too if it ever dries out enough.

Back