Newbie from NY

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all,

Well, i'm an absolute greenhorn from NY. I'm here on a rather personal mission, but I hope to stick around for the fun. As for this little "mission", my grandfather recently passed away this past april. After everything settled a bit and I was talking to my aunt, I found out that my family had gotten together and bought him a brand new bicycle when he was in his 70's as he had never had one. He rode it 10-12 miles a day for years until my grandmother got sick. He passed away at 91.

Well, some more discussion on the subject of my grandfather's biking led me to find out that the bicycle he rode was still in the backyard, stashed away under a pine tree. I went over there today and decided to make an attempt at making the bike ridable again. It's a Scout III by Huffy, unsure of the year so far. A bit beat up, but doesn't seem to have any really severe frame rust. Also have a Huffy Le Grande that I pulled out of there as well, which is apparently my uncle's old bike.

So, now that I have a few bikes, my goal is to get my grandfathers old Huffy ridable again, at the very least, I'm sure i'll learn alot here. I've been riding a Trek 7.2 FX for the past year or so, commuting about 2 days a week during the warmer months, but I know next to nothing about maintaining bikes and absolutely nothing about fixing them.

Ah, yeah.... I suppose I should say a little about myself too. I'm looking to get into grad school for library science in the next year or two. I'm a music lover, tabletop RPG fan and a ton of other stuff. I still hate writing these sorts of things...

Welcome !! Very special bike you have there..and a very nice intro...You will learn an awful lot here..you will have it up and going in no-time..Family heirlooms are the best bikes..lots of good memories come with them..Enjoy this place.. :D

Heh, thanks man. I'm thinking of doing a single speed conversion out of it, unless the derailers and shifter still work alright. I'll be going over to pick up the Le Grande tomorrow most likely (stupid front wheel didn't want to come off to get it in the SUV), which i'd like to keep as a geared road bike. I don't think i'll be looking for original restorations necessarily, but just getting them rideable again would be nice.

Thanks for the kind words dude. I'll be sure to post pictures of the build progress and of course the final product(s).

Hello and welcome to RatRodBikes! :)
If ya ever need help, just ask, okay?
As for the front wheel, was it hung up on the brakes? You might be able to let all the air out of the tire to get it past the brake pads.
ALSO . . . Sometimes there are special, stepped washers or washers with a little hook to keep the front wheel from from dislodging while riding in the event that the axle nuts become loose. You might need to remove the nuts and any retainers entirely instead of merely loosening them.
Please keep us posted. 8)

I noticed the special little retaining washers, the problem is that the whole hub is rotating when i try to take the nut off. The main reason for doing it was to take off the wheel and easily fit both bikes into my SUV. I decided to just go back and grab the second bike today, so it is safely at my house.

I've heard rumors that getting newer parts to fit these bikes is next to impossible, so i'm not sure if I should look for cheap donor bikes or simply buy some cheap Nashbar parts. Still need to clean them both up and see how they look before that though. I think i'll get that done later this week when I can get my hands on some vinegar or acid to take off some of the rust. When I get around to cleaning it all up i'll start a build log here complete with pictures. Heck, before that there'll probably be a help thread with pictures :p

Welcome to the greatest place on earth, from Manhattan, NY. You will see that we are very friendly and helpful.. Good luck with Grands bike!

Latest posts

Back