*>>NEWBIE FROM SCOTLAND WITH A VISION PLEASE LOOK!....

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys,
i am new to this site, tho have been an avid old school bmx colector and restorer for some years

my particular passion are raleigh burners and i was sent here by a member of one of the burner forums...

P8220011.jpg

P8220014.jpg

ive always been interested in lowriders/choppers/beach cruisers
when i needed a bike for commuting the logical thing for me was to go for the raleigh made cruiser the 'bomber' many parts overlapped from grifers/burners/choppers so it was close to my roots
yet it had 24'' wheels and 3 speed and its opened up a whole new scene for me....

DSC00495.jpg

DSC00496.jpg

having seen the electra bikes while surfing in newquay i was keen to get my teeth into a proper 'phat' cruiser i could customise etc

so i acquired this from ebay,
from my limited knowledge and research i believe to be a scwhinn from the shape of the chain ring and the schwinn branded pedals etc,
i would love some info on this!!!!

4dfc_1.jpg

4751_1.jpg

55f3_1.jpg

i plan to keep the rat effect on the frame and mudguards but to lock it in with a product used by the rat guys from veedub scene

the wheels i will paint with red oxide primer
i plan to use a schwinn tan/white saddle
leather tan grips with tassles
24 x 3.0 tire on rear 24 x 2.125 on front whitewall
ive got some schwinn 'cruiser' decals and indian motorbike decals line up for it too!
thats pretty much all the plans i have

it has a bendix rear coaster brake and an internal kickstand
the bike appears to have red grips at some point and a white painted front section on the frame.
the wheel has a black pinstripe around it on the rear tho the front wheel is not original.

i have put the handlebars to the correct position, tho i would like larger handlebars more chopper style i think
the seatpost is really thin, like nothing ive used before is there layback posts for schwinns or in this dimension.

thought opinions input all aprreciated
cheers guys.
David

thanks man,
im finished restoring burners, so i hope to become an active member on here,
already bursting with questions and ideas

any help with ID'ing of my bike or pictures of similar bikes or bikes with a similar look to the one im trying to achieve

cheers!

WELCOME !!!

looks like a schwinn DX to me tho i dont know much bout the older schwinns, (arent the DX's the ones with the slightly bent straightbar on em?) someone who knows more bout em should chime in, is there a serial # on it ? You could always ask the guys at the schwinn forum too tho we'll do the best to help ya on the ID.

P S not everybody checks the intros very often, so it might do good to post pics in the BIKE GALLERY section.

Welcome to the forum!!! Your Raliegh's look Great!!! The Schwinn has a "no band" Bendix coaster brake. With a 1" pitch or skiptooth sprocket as it is called now, it is an oldster!!! When time allows, it would be great to see some pics of the internals of the rear hub. Thanks!!!

Back