Newbie - I need a Cruiser!!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all, been riding bikes my whole life mostly Bmx and Mountain bikes.. finally getting into cruisers now that I am getting a little older I guess. I am just in love with the look of the old Schwinn Americans, Corvettes, and Tigers.. and want to get something to ride and tinker with that doesn’t need any work or maint right off the bat.

I am about to purchase either a new Schwinn DelMar from WallyWorld or a Firmstrong Urban from J's. I know Schwinn are made in Asia now and quality is not the same as the US made vintage bikes, but the Firmstrongs and almost everything else in the lower budget bike market is made in Asia as well..

Would you guys defer to the Schwinn still or go with the Firmstrong?

Thanks for your help guys!!

Dang right, you need a cruiser....:grin:

Personally, I'd skip the Schwinn Delmar, the Firmstrong, and virtually all of the competing models. I'd cruise the F/S forum here on RRB and pick up something with some character. Or hit up Craigslist. Cruisers: they just don't make'm like they used to.

Thanks guys, I will check out the f/s thread.. I am trying to stay under $200.

Btw, I stopped by my local walmart at lunch today and while they didn't have the Delmar I did check out a Schwinn Clairmont women's bike just to look at the quality and wasn't very impressed.

Schwinn middle weights for the most part only worth a couple hundred bucks, but a schwinn middle weight rat is priceless;)

Interesting thanks.. what the heck is that?
That's an early 60's AMF made bike. If the wheels are alright, a couple of new tires and tubes, along with a good lube and adjustments it mightl be a rider. Hard to tell the condition from the pic, but the fenders look good and it doesn't look abused.
The Corvette looks good too, the Typhoon is overpriced but still can't be touched by a walmart bike.

Last edited:
I was kinda digging this Corvette and if it was black I might pull the trigger.
http://dallas.craigslist.org/dal/bik/4647174893.html

I also found this Typhoon resto that looks killer, but I think its a little over priced and obviously over my budget. What is the school of thought on repainted bikes? Doesn't it lower the value?
http://dallas.craigslist.org/dal/bik/4657311854.html

I think that red Corvette is about perfect for you. Drive out there with 2 hundred-dollar bills and bring'r home.

I agree with Bicycle808, and it won't need much tinkering and is a solid Chicago Schwinn. An original from 1968 is pretty decent to find. I'd keep it original as it looks to be in good shape, but if you don't like the red, change it to whatever you like, and cut up the stainless (I think) fenders, put apes and a banana seat on it. It looks like a rider just as it sits, and it's at your price level. The best thing, you'll avoid a cheap walmart bike.
I just noticed those aren't S-7 wheels, so standard tires should fit. The rear hub should be a red band Bendix, with a red stripe in the middle. If the seller advertises it as an original bike, call him out on the wheels, not Schwinn. Also, the chain wheel is too small, 36 teeth, should have 44 or 46. But it is a Schwinn chain wheel. The bike will be easy to pedal, but won't be that fast. Not hard to change out, but would be a little work. Might be good for a discount on the price.

Last edited:
The best thing, you'll avoid a cheap walmart bike.

That's pretty much job #1. As I see it, that Corvette (or any bike like it) would be fine pretty much as-is, or you can pretty much let your creativity run wild as you modify it to your liking. I think I'd be inclined to replace the s7 wheels with s2's, and keep the s7 wheels around in case i ever sold the bike. (If you don't keep it original, that's cool.... but it's always good to keep the original parts, in case a future owner wants'm.) S2s are available fatter than the s7s, which is always a plus, plus there's about 5million types of 559 (s2) tires available, but there's only a handful of 571 (s7) rubber currently on the market...

That's pretty much job #1. As I see it, that Corvette (or any bike like it) would be fine pretty much as-is, or you can pretty much let your creativity run wild as you modify it to your liking. I think I'd be inclined to replace the s7 wheels with s2's, and keep the s7 wheels around in case i ever sold the bike. (If you don't keep it original, that's cool.... but it's always good to keep the original parts, in case a future owner wants'm.) S2s are available fatter than the s7s, which is always a plus, plus there's about 5million types of 559 (s2) tires available, but there's only a handful of 571 (s7) rubber currently on the market...
I zoomed in on the pic and noticed a couple things, edited my earlier post. I still think it's the best deal of the 3 bikes though, with the AMF coming in a close second.

Awesome info, thanks for the help guys!! I'm just not feeling the AMF sorry. The more I look at old bikes the more I want a black vintage Schwinn with original paint.

What do you guys think about this post.. bike# 3.
https://dallas.craigslist.org/dal/bik/4579071745.html

Guy says its a 56 Schwinn Flying Star 2-speed kickback with original wheels. He is asking $175, he says he can get $100 for kickback rim if parted out, but I have no idea what that is. I had been looking for just a single speed for the simplicity, what is this 2-speed kickback and how hard will it be to get it in working order?

Kickbacks are rad. With that one, you got basically a regular singlespeed coaster hub, but if you push back on the pedals real quick, it clicks into an underdrive gear that's going to make it easier to climb hills or get started from a stop. Basically, if you test ride, you'll be able to feel the shift. IF the bike ain't rideable, you can spin the wheel and then kick-back; the speed/pitch of the clicking should change. Another way to check is to spin the driver. If it's in direct drive, the flange will spin at the same rate as the driver. When you downshift it, the flange should spin more slowly than the driver. I like SS coaster brakes, but kickbacks are even more awesome....

Here are some better pics, what do you think about the condition? How hard will it be for me to get this in working order?
IMG_2055_zps87e3f5c1.jpeg

Back