Newbie - I need a Cruiser!!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No cruiser is hard to get in working order. That's one of the delights of owning them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A 56 Schwinn!

I wasn't sure if they offered a kickback hub in 56, so I checked the catalog. They sure did, and that bike looks all original there except the seat. If the hub doesn't work properly, you can easily get a standard one speed wheel and change it out. The paint and chrome they used back then was very good, and I've had good luck just cleaning and waxing the old Schwinn finishes. They shine almost like new. I had a kickback awhile back, and I really liked having the extra gear to help at starts and uphill. It takes a little getting used to shifting, but there's no cables to worry about, it's all in the hub. Looking at the hub, and the bike overall, it doesn't look like it's been abused or worn out, it looks clean.

There is a slight backward bend in the forks where someone must have bumped into something. If you draw a straight line down the head tube, the upper part of the forks should follow that line, until they bend forward near the front axle. It makes a big difference in the ride of the bike, and isn't hard to correct, but might help you get a discount on the sale. Still a good deal just like it is.

Last edited:
Hi all, been riding bikes my whole life mostly Bmx and Mountain bikes.. finally getting into cruisers now that I am getting a little older I guess. I am just in love with the look of the old Schwinn Americans, Corvettes, and Tigers.. and want to get something to ride and tinker with that doesn’t need any work or maint right off the bat.

I am about to purchase either a new Schwinn DelMar from WallyWorld or a Firmstrong Urban from J's. I know Schwinn are made in Asia now and quality is not the same as the US made vintage bikes, but the Firmstrongs and almost everything else in the lower budget bike market is made in Asia as well..

Would you guys defer to the Schwinn still or go with the Firmstrong?

Thanks for your help guys!!

I'd be smacking this one down if I were you.. seller only put 120 cause he wants 100. but might go down another to 80, whatever, @ 100
http://dallas.craigslist.org/ftw/bik/4609021641.html

that's a really light $1.00 a can paint on there and if careful you can bring back the yellow easy. finger nail scraping off and finish with gentle wash with nail polish remover. or one of those 'advertised, graffiti removers that don't harm original paint finishes. 1980, heavy-duty with cantilever frame, should have thick heavy duty spokes, if not then bail it, no buy. But otherwise, collectible, personally I like Schwinn's yellow,, it's good to go, and ya got an extra 100 bucks in Dallas, or big cities, just hit up Craig's list every day, search Schwinn, and you'll have two cruisers in no time. Pretty sure, just that frame would get shipped @ 100 bucks, if heavy-duty thick spokes on rims, that's another 100 bucks + 1980, about the very last period Chicago made. and heck the seller was nice enough to clean off the overspray from the chrome already. lol.

I.E. for 100 bucks, a little paint-off clean up, you're triple value in the groove collectible good to go!

Last edited:
Back