Newer JC Higgins pickup

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After some help in the I.D. forum, I picked up this late model JC Higgins (Huffy I guess) off CL. I just sold a Hutch Pro Racer I built and I'm in between bikes right now so I needed something to cruise around on. The bike has zero wear but had some slight peppering that cleaned up eaasily with some 0000 steel wool, soap and water. I prefer to be a little stretched out when I ride, this thing feels like a kids bike. I reversed the seat guts and raised the bars a tad which helped. But I think I need a longer stem and maybe a different seat/seat post....maybe different bars. I'm open to ideas on that as I'm new to these cruisers. Looks like the seatpost is 7/8 but I have to measure the quill.

6-23-13001_zps2479e169.jpg

Yeah as I said in your other post it's a late 90's US made Murray badged JC Higgins. Put the stem at the insert line because it looks lower than they usually are on them. If you need help on the year post the numbers on the stem above the insert line and the decal above the bottom bracket.

I was always stretched out really good & comfortable on my cruisers which includes Murray bikes like yours but as most bikes I ride it takes time to ride them if you not used to them.

I got it somewhat comfortable after bending the handlebars a little more flat and I added a layback seatpost. That was a project in itself. The seat is a POS so I have to find a replacement. I heard some clicking in the rear hub (coulda been the dumb seat) and the coaster isn't that great, so I might need to dig into that. Besides the comfort, just needs some tweaking/tuning. It pretty much rides like the person assembling it didn't know what they're doing.

kngtmat - Here's all the numbers from the tag and the head tube:

Tag:

8-5020X1-040898 1
502.47969 (looks like a Sears part number?)
1-800-251-8007
Made in Lawrenceburg, Tn.
8-5020X1

Head tube:

MOS1827597 (the S could be a number 5, thick paint)

Thanks for your help!

Ok. That would be 1998 for the year and yes it's the model number so you can order the bike or the parts which they still sell a few at Sears Parts Direct.

To Wildcat: Yeah apparently back in the late 90's Murray was doing retro bikes to keep going until it was too late then sold off the company a few times until all that was left was the Mowers. Not only did the JC Higgins name come back they even brought back the Mercury name as well and they used springer forks again but instead of the rat traps they used Schwinn style springers.

Back