Next Lajolla aluminum frame project

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
11   0   0
Here is a Next Lajolla single speed cruiser bike as sold by Mall-wart circa 2007 for I believe around $90.
Not lots of info about these bikes online.
Next  Lajola.jpeg

Aluminum frame. Inherited from my brother, Unfinished project.
108837-IMG-1090.JPG

Threw some parts on it from the stash, then parked it.
108860-IMG-1107.JPG
108862-IMG-1109.JPG

What it looks like today,
index.php

Cockpit a little cramped - options, change seat post, gooseneck and shorter cranks...

This is the Next version of that frame that I briefly owned. Someone put it out for trash day. It was a very nimble and light bike to ride. After this picture was taken I got the stickers off using one of those rubber decal remover wheels.
156706-20210501-154407.jpg

I know. I thought of that when you started posting your build. Mine didn't come out as clean as your bike did. I added mini apes later, after the above picture. Then I gave it to a neighbor who is trying to improve his health.

@Captain Awesome
Sorry I did not follow your build thread thru completion, at first looked like a you were using a hybrid frame. Went back and caught up, thought you polished the aluminum but I see you painted it. Very nice 2 tone fade.

Looks like both @Kevin B , @Captain Awesome 's bikes have one piece bottom brackets. Mine has a 3 piece bb.
20220912_180201.jpg

Unfortunately I only rode it a little then it got parked. Now I'm disassembling it for painting and going to change the chain ring.
Spinning the bb I thought it was a bit noisy. Took it apart and the drive side bearing cage was bent up and loose balls
laying it the grease - only problem was the cage was missing 2 balls and 3 were in the grease!
20220912_175845.jpg

Later I looked down the seat tube and saw something, fished it out and it was part of another bearing cage!
I put 2 balls back in the cage but it's kinda bent.
Have some cartridge bearings may upgrade...

Last edited:
I had one of these as a hotel bike that was eventually stolen. However, I have nothing but good things to say about this super light frame. I repacked the crank and wheels, put on slicks, better pedals, a flat bar and a longer seat post and lighter seat. It was fast as heck yet pretty dam durable for jumping curbs and city life abuse. Definitely an under rated bike with great potential. Some a hole cut the bike rack it was locked to inside a hotel courtyard. Devistating

Latest posts

Back