NG to the list. In central California.

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
New guy here. Name is Mo I a from Clovis, CA. Being out of the collecting restoration game for 20 years, and 4 weeks ago, I went yarding with a buddy and we came across a huffy cruiser in need of repair. They wanted $10 we got it for $5. Nothing special, mid 90's cruiser that had been left out in the rain for who knows how long. Well I helped him refurbish the bearings and general clean up to the point it is presentable. He rides it to work daily and is constantly getting compliments all for $28 in parts and purchase. Me I'm different story. I got into the pre-war straightbars pretty heavily in 90. I sold off almost everything to buy my house. Till I went up into the attic and started finding all the stuff I had placed up there 2o years ago. so I am building a 48 excelsior right now, with a few modern touches, newer blacked out alloy rims and spokes, with a 2 speed red band bendix, with shaved teeth( homemade skip tooth), modern ducktail fenders and a trussed front, it has it's tank still and a harley pancake handlebar horn. It'll have a regular rear rack and a restored newspaper rack over that.
The next is a 36 schwinn with a locking fork, tanked and again all blacked out, sweetheart chainring, cranks are actually 1933 leftovers. The bomber fenders, repo fenderlight, latest acquisition 1948 Monark aluminum Silver King, I am trying to find a few items to complete like the long deluxe chainguard, the cheese grater rear rack, and the all elusive train fenderlight, all else is in great shape and should polish out nicely. I am going with polished aluminum bomber fenders and red eagle repop tires and a sprung red leather saddle and grips and some period accessories like a wheel siren and handlebar horn. All this in the span of 4 weeks. Do I have the virus or what? Would like info on anything bicycle related coming up in the Central Cal or Sac or Bay area. Or anyone on the list who is in my area send me a note. I have already found somethings that people have helped a friend of mine locate and he is purchasing so this list is a real find.........Mo in Clovis, CA

welcome from nor-cal,check out the events forum .

Will be posting pictures soon, I was off today and so I was able to run around and get some things done. Took the Schwinn stem that's been in the attic for 20 years, along with the AS seat post bolt to the chrome shop. Was pleasantly surprised that it was only $20 to rechrome the stem and 2 bolts. I need to take the rear sprocket that I swacked every other tooth off( homemade skip tooth- did this so I would not have relace the rim(modern black anodized and blackedout spokes and hub), in case it is possible that there is too much sloppiness, being that the rear sprocket is thinner than the front skip tooth sweetheart sprocket), the rear center stand fender bracket and fender ornament(art deco rocket) to the chrome shop in the next few days, those are the only items left that need chroming. I have to get the frame and the (locking forks I just won on ebay yesterday) to the sandblaster and then the welder, as the frame has a crack on the bottom of the seat tube just above the BB. Then off to the powdercoaters for glossy black coating. Still debating whether I am going to stripe it with correct markings or just the Excelsior name on the tank. I will update as soon as I can....Mo in CA :mrgreen:

Latest posts

Back