nice barn find "56 corvtte"

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
blkschwinn.jpg
beleived to be a 56 corvtte :?: , found in wenatchee washington and originaly bought from wenatchee cycle & toys, bought from the original owners grandson, totally complet (he even gave me the origianl front rack that was tooken off years ago) :mrgreen: ... (pictured as found), this is it all cleaned up just need to put the rack on it :arrow:
IMG00715.jpg

A Corvette would have stainless steel fenders, also, that's a '59-64 chainguard. I'd say with the large head badge, it's likely a 59-60 American.-Adam

right on thanx for the input... i rather it be a vette, but from what i understand an american is 100% made in the USA so thats even better and extemlly rare consitering that nothing is made here in the US anymore. as for the year my s# is V49448 = 1956 V00001 - V99999. i have a red american s#J811506= 1953 J00001 - J99999 and it does not have a flag, when did schwinn start placing the checked flag on the american? i"ll post pix of it. i had done a lot of research on it, and the only other two bikes i found with that checker patern and the chrome chain guard was the tiger and the 5 speed corvette and yes i hadnt seen the vette with pianted fenders only chrome but it was wishful thinking on my part, (plus it has all the right parts for a vette) it"s been my under standing that the american only came in the red or blue due to the "american" name it was given... now i'm going to look up the american to see if i can find a matching bike. thanx my research isn't over cuz god knows i been wrong before. i will use the info u guys gave me to futher my search on it... :D i"ll keep you guys posted on what i find...again thanx

I read in one of the schwinn collector's books the american did come in black from the factory. I have a black 64 american. Not sure what you have but nice find either way.

American's also came in green. And your bike with a J8 serial number would be 1958, not '53. Middleweights didn't even come out until '54. Painted fender bikes are always better. :wink: Gary

Metal Militia said:
i had a 59 tiger that looked like yours.
P1080093.jpg
yep the same bike.. the only differance is that my has the old script and the long darts on the frok... i was really hopeing it wasn't a tiger, i alreay have one... lol heres a pic of it
IMG00620.jpg
thanx for the info and very nice bike, what happened to it?

ByZO7CWkKGrHqRhQEw5Gdzb4FBMRhJ2W3I_3.jpg
okay so i been looking it up and here's what i found so far. the post said it was from the 50's only really didnt offer to much other info... if any one else has pic of vettes, tigers or americans, post them.. i like to compare them. thanx "metal" i just changed my intro to a 56 tiger, so far yours has been the closest to mine... i like to be for sure on what it is so i dont change it again :lol: thanx for all the help guys..

Nice bike, but I believe someone has changed out some parts on it.
I have a red '55 with the hockey stick chain guard and looks like the one in the '56 ad and a black 62 with the same style guard that you have, but black. I have a '62 Jaguar with the chrome guard.

http://www.trfindley.com/flschwinn_1951 ... 56_03.html

I don't know if this helps or makes it more confusing. This is my 1956 American that I just build up. The accessories, seat, bars and wheels aren't original but everything else is. It doesn't have the checkerboard decal and if it was ever there somebody did a really good job removing it because there isn't a trace that it was ever there.

DSC06080.jpg

kram said:
I don't know if this helps or makes it more confusing. This is my 1956 American that I just build up. The accessories, seat, bars and wheels aren't original but everything else is. It doesn't have the checkerboard decal and if it was ever there somebody did a really good job removing it because there isn't a trace that it was ever there.

DSC06080.jpg
right on thanx for that pic, that was a nice build.. really koo bike..

SCHWINNRAY69 said:
That cleaned up well 8) Nice bike :mrgreen:
thanx , i just put some springers an old gen light set and an old tool bag on it i'll post a pic of it. :lol:

Where people get confused is '53 serials have a letter and 5 digits, 58 numbers have a letter and 6 digits, but otherwise the same series. General info, middleweights used the hockey stick guard, and old style Schwinn script through 1958. 59's had the V style guard, 'new' inline Schwinn script, and was the first year for the famous "S" seat. -Adam

Back