Nirve Classic single speed to 3 speed via Electra kit...

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would I need to widen the rear part of my frame to do this? http://www.feltbicycles.com/USA/2012/Pa ... n-Kit.aspx

I've become a little attached to my bike and even though I would love to get a Nirve SKulls I know I could make mine a little more... mine. Plus there are some hills here as I live in the foothills of Colorado. A few gears wouldn't hurt. If it is bolt on I won't have a problem doing it but I don't have the time/tools/energy at this present time to widen the rear of a frame to allow the fit of a wider hub.....

Is this a bolt on installation? The ad makes it seem so but as many trucks as I've wrenched on I've come to know bolt on as "partially weld on" :mrgreen:

Street,

I did something similar with a Bianchi San Jose, adding a 3 speed wheel. It is way to easy. The biggest thing is to make sure the hub and axle spacing match. Based on what you are saying they should. What I would do is remove the Right grip (it may need cut down to fit the shiftier) and the rear wheel. On the assumption that the tooth count in the rear cog are the same just bolt the wheel in... look at the shimano web site to make sure which anti-turn washer to use. The bianchi has track end so I ended up using the yellow reversed but u should be good to go stock. Put the wheel on as usual and adjust chain tension. Insert the push rod and put the shiftier linkage in. Assuming that the stock cable it comes with is the right length just adjust it so with the sifter in 2 the little yellow dot is in the window. If the cable housing is to long just cut it down but be sure to cut the cable so it only reaches about 1 cm past the bolt or it will get in the way. Tighten down the shifter to suit and cut the grip down to fit and u should be good.

Thanks for the responses, just realized I titled it as an Electra kit even though it's a Felt kit :oops: I did just find a Nirve kit on the internet so I'm thinking that since Nirve made it that it may just come with all the parts I need to do the job. I'm going to shoot an email out to them tomorrow with the part number to get a solid answer. I don't need it so much for the uphill because I can crank my single speed up a hill pretty easily but sometimes it would be nice to get more speed going downhill without my legs going into cartoon mode try to gain speed :mrgreen:

Latest posts

Back