Nirve classic

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not a rat although it's a little ratty for its age.
web.jpg

I think I'll try and find a front spring seat for it too. Can't afford a brooks so I'll have to find something else.
web.jpg

Anybody know what, if anything, goes here?
web.jpg

I think the rear hub is trash. It was very loose when I looked at it but he had his BIL "fix" it before I came back to buy it. Looks like I'll need a chain or at least drop a link or two. I may use this as an excuse to get a wider wheel set. There was a set at the LBS that were wide they said 1.75" but they looked really wide compared to these which are just over 1" wide.
web.jpg

I had sometime yesterday so I went to the motorcycle salvage yard and found these. I think they are new but for $12 I don't care. My plan is a triple clamp fork and BMX stem. I thought the cork grips looked pretty cool. I'd like to get some brown leather, but don't want the chrome ends. I also might try turning some wooden grips on my lathe.
web.jpg

Outskirts-
Yeah, this this is the $50 bike. I took the rear hub apart and the bearings fell out on the drive side. The nut on the brake arm is so tight I haven't got it off yet, I had to take it out backwards. You can see the washer below it is deformed, somebody got a little ham handed on it.

socal-
I figured that was it but I thought I remembered seeing a bolt in there on a bike with no fenders. Probably just a hole filler.

Even if you got to replace the hub you got a solid deal. Around here riding condition that's $150-$200 easy. I'd go for a cheap 3 speed hub and call it custom.

utilityart said:
socal-
I figured that was it but I thought I remembered seeing a bolt in there on a bike with no fenders. Probably just a hole filler.

Yeah, I keep a screw in there to keep moisture, grit, or whatever out.

As I thought the hub was pretty trashed. I had to put in new bearings and replace about all the hardware in the brake side, everything was twisted, bent and generally just tore up. Looks like someones tool of choice was pliers and a lot of force. Oh well, about $10 in parts and she's rolling again. Haven't gone for a test spin yet but I'm thinking the amount of back pedal still seems excessive. I'll see what it feels like on the bike though and go from there. I'm going to talk myself into a wider wheel set one way or another 8) After the High Zoot sells I'll have a little to play with for bike stuff that SWMBO can't bark about.

Back