No. 3 build ready to kick off...

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ALTERNATIVE EXHAUSTS....
Been playing around with how to cobble-up Build No. 3's exhaust. Pics show a couple of alternatives. Need to indulge in a session or two of 'creative staring' before I settle on a favourite.
Actually, I could even make the tailpipes interchangeable to suit my mood. Either could be easily swapped-out given a common mounting bracket.

FSCN3881.JPG FSCN3882.JPG FSCN3884.JPG FSCN3890.JPG FSCN3889.JPG FSCN3888.JPG

Definitely 'fat turndown' ...your bike is fully sick man - I love how the colours are sandwiched between the black forks and rear stays. The headtube looks great the colour it is. Also cool tank decals! Fantastic build, thanks for sharing it!

WORK RESUMES ON BUILD No. 3....
Our impending move to Spain is held-up whilst awaiting for a Deputyship application which will allow my wife's sister to sign-off the house on her behalf. Wife Jen's dementia means she can't do it and the legal folks say there's a risk of too much self interest if I do it on my own. Never saw that coming - but either way, it's added several unexpected weeks to our Spanish relocation plans. All of which means I decided to un-crate Build No. 3 and resume work.
Most of the pics here show how I tackled installation of the 3 x drive chains. Right side pedal chain is fitted with an eBay sourced sprung tensioner. Probably not really necessary, given I'll only ever be using the pedals when applying the coaster brake. Looks cool though.
Left side drive chain is presently fits perfectly so I'll not yet fit a tensioner till the chain stretches a little after putting some miles on this ride.
The primary chain proved a little troublesome. Only one UK supplier could sell me the correct chain which matched the output sprocket on my Gnome Rhone motor. The same supplier couldn't sell me a matching off the shelf sprocket for the jackshaft which fit the chain. However, they did sell me a 1/2" pitch x 3/8" wide sprocket and recommended I machined this down to 3/16" width. I now have the sprocket - but my lathe and tools are packed-up ready for the move, so machining it down to correct width will have to wait till after we're in Spain. For the time being, the pic shows the primary chain wrapped round a jackshaft sprocket with slightly incorrect teeth. You get the idea though. I'll decide later if I can get away with fitting a half link (supplied) to the primary chain or whether a tensioner will be necessary.
Amazingly, all 3 x chains fit perfectly, without any clearance issues at all .... almost like I designed it that way. Ha!!!
Also found time to rig-up a means of securing the front of the rear rack to the bike's frame. I used a pair of chromed Munsen rings - same as the ones I used to suspend the gas tank - threaded onto a pair of turned steel extensions. Worked out nicely. Pic shows these fittings mounted snug under the seat.
FSCN4428.JPG
FSCN4429.JPG
FSCN4438.JPG
FSCN4427.JPG
FSCN4430.JPG
FSCN4439.JPG

Last edited:
MAKING AN EXTENDED BOTTOM BRACKET AXLE...
Needed to widen the left side of Build No. 3's b/b axle by 30mm to prevent the left side pedal from fouling the engine's crank case. Pics show how I achieved this. I purchased a pair of b/b axles and machined off a 30mm long section from one axle to use as the extension. M8 threaded rod was used to secure the extension to the b/b axle as shown in the pics. This afternoon I'll weld the assembly up solid.
RSCN4445.JPG
RSCN4444.JPG

EXTENDED B/B AXLE & TWO MORE CHAIN TENSIONERS INSTALLED...
The freshly welded-up Bottom Bracket Axle is now installed, providing the clearance needed for the left side pedal. After welding-on the axle's 30mm extension, the axle was re-blackened by heating then quenching in oil. First pic below shows the result.
Also fitted chain tensioners to the primary chain and left side drive chain - meaning all three chains are tensioned correctly. Hopefully the pics show how things turned out.
Worth me pointing out I had to machine-down the width of the primary chain's rear sprocket to make it compatible with the 1/2" pitch x 3/16 width primary chain. I had no choice after finding it impossible to obtain a sprocket which matched the Gnome Rhone motor's output sprocket.
FSCN4455.JPG
RSCN4453.JPG
FSCN4448.JPG
RSCN4450.JPG

Guzzino.jpg
UPDATE....
Apologies for the lack of postings in my build thread.
Wife Jen and I were scheduled to relocate from the UK to our place in Spain on January 21st but Jen fell and broke her pelvis on Jan 18th. She ended up in hospital in Alnwick for 6 weeks, during which time our UK house sale completed. With our belongings (and my bikes) in storage, I ended up living in a hotel for nine weeks, during which Jen was discharged from hospital and relocated into a care home here in Alnwick for another six week spell of respite recovery. Figured it was sensible to put our Spain move on hold till we established just how mobile Jen may become. With this in mind, I searched for local accommodation - and so we've rented a flat within walking distance of Alnwick infirmary where Jen goes for regular physiotherapy. Man, this has been a challenging time on top of dealing with Jen's dementia, which we've coped with since she was diagnosed in 2013.
The good news is we're settled in the new place and plan on staying here for at least a year before making the decision on moving to Spain. The bad news is this flat has a dedicated parking space but no garage - so my bikes, stash of car parts for my next car build and workshop paraphernalia are still in storage. Jen is now back on her feet, walking only hesitantly but improving slowly. Being virtually house-bound, I'm going stir crazy - but there is a spare bedroom here and so I'm making plans to get busy with a new project to 'keep my hand in'. To this end, after a three year search, this week I just crossed an item off my bucket list after finally tracking down and purchasing a '40s Moto Guzzi Motoleggera (Guzzino) - 65ccs of Latin loveliness. Located on the UKs south coast, it's currently being couriered to me in Alnwick. Can't wait to get started on it in the spare room. Generic Guzzino pic at top of this posting to show what I'm talking about.

Sorry to hear all of the news with you and your wife. But it is inspiring to see the dedication and chivalry that you have toward your wife during these difficult times. These worldly things will pass but your bond is never ending! Praying for a miraculous recovery.

Looking forward to following along with your next project!

Sorry to hear about all the stuff you and your wife are going through. Life can be a son of a sometimes.

Still tuning in to the forum now and again to keep up to speed with things.
My first three builds are still in storage but I'm occasionally finding time to work on re-commissioning my vintage Guzzino and a newer addition to the fleet - a 2003 50cc Honda Solo which was only ever sold to the Japanese home market. Aimed at students, the Solo was never a big seller - despite it being what I think is ridiculously good looking. Was lucky enough last month to snap up one of only a handful of imported Solo's which made it here to the UK. 16 years old with only 2300kms on the clock - obviously pampered and still looks like a new bike. Can't believe the owner agreed to my cheeky low ball offer without haggling.
My Solo is currently undergoing an engine transplant, swapping out the original Honda semi-auto unit for a larger capacity Lifan 125cc. Here's a pic of my standard original Solo.
solo50.jpg

I'll update it to keep folks abreast of my planned modifications which, as well as up-sizing the motor, include larger knobbly tyres, replacement lights/indicators, new exhaust, new handlebars, side-mount license plate, custom-painted tank, fenderless vibe.

HONDA SOLO's MAKE-OVER BEGINS...
Despite having the Solo's replacement 125cc Lifan semi-auto engine (with hand shifter) to hand, I'm still riding the bike with the original 50cc motor for the time being. The Solo's make-over has kicked-off with the addition of new cafe handlebars and risers, allowing me plenty adjustment room to set the bars in a position where my two torn shoulder tendons hurt least. Swapped-out the original muffler for a way better looking stainless one that sounds ten times meatier. Love it. New rear indicators now sported beneath the seat. Still have to remove the original rear lights from the fender - which will be bobbed after installing larger Mitas knobbly tyres.
The gas tank is undergoing a custom paint job featuring over 200 airbrushed rivets. Even close up these fool the eye into thinking they're 3D. Nearly finished the rivets on the left side of the tank - after which I just have to apply the panel lines. Really pleased how these rivets turned out after following a couple of YouTube vids.
DSCN3566.JPG
DSCN3562.JPG
DSCN3564.JPG
DSCN3556.JPG

Latest posts

Back