NORTH TEXAS SWAP MEET - (PHOTOS ADDED!!!!!)

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rat Rod

Owner & Founder
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
23   0   0
Had a great time today at the big swap meet over in Hurst. Got to see several friends there and met a few forum members to boot. In the past I carried a bunch of old stuff I had out there to sell, but this time I decided to bring one bike (65 Racer) and just enjoy coasting around looking at all of the stuff.

Thanks to Kevin M. and Scott McCaskey (The Cabe) for putting this event on each year. It's one of the only bike events that I usually attend and it's always fun to walk around and look at all of the old bike stuff.

I ended up buying a few items from a good friend of mine who is helping someone liquidate all of his old bike shop inventory. I bought a set of NOS Sumo 20" x 1.75 hoops, a gel seat, a black fluted seat post and a bell. The only bike that I would have really wanted to pick up had already been purchased before the swap even started. It was a Goodyear ballooner that was perfectly aged and he only wanted $150 for it. Guess I need to get there earlier next year. :wink:

So without further ado....let the virtual swap meet begin!

(click images to see larger version)

DSC_0010.jpg

DSC_0011.jpg

DSC_0013.jpg

DSC_0014.jpg

DSC_0015.jpg

DSC_0016.jpg

DSC_0017.jpg

DSC_0018.jpg

DSC_0019.jpg

DSC_0020.jpg

DSC_0021.jpg

DSC_0022.jpg

DSC_0023.jpg

DSC_0024.jpg

DSC_0026.jpg

DSC_0027.jpg

DSC_0028.jpg

DSC_0029.jpg

DSC_0030.jpg

DSC_0031.jpg

DSC_0032.jpg

DSC_0033.jpg

DSC_0034.jpg

DSC_0035.jpg

The Goodyear that I would like to have purchased...

DSC_0037.jpg

DSC_0039.jpg

DSC_0040.jpg

DSC_0041.jpg

DSC_0042.jpg

DSC_0044.jpg

DSC_0045.jpg

DSC_0046.jpg

DSC_0048.jpg

DSC_0049.jpg

DSC_0050.jpg

DSC_0051.jpg

This one was kind of interesting. The guy who had this said that it was a Kuwahara team issued bike back in 81 and that his buddy rode for Kuwahara back in the day. He said that the bike was the exact set up that his friend rode back in 81. Lot's of sweet parts on this bike from the Flight cranks to the Bullseye Hubs and the Tuff Neck stem. It was way out of my price range, but fun to look at.

IMG_1286.jpg

And last but not least...member screw_dup's awesome Hawthorne cruiser. A lot of work went into this bike and it showed. Some very cool details from the paint job to the LED light system and Sailor Jerry style tattoo headbadge. He said he was about to have the bike striped so there will be better photos posted once the finishing touches are applied.

DSC_0038.jpg

All in all it was a great event and I look forward to attending again next year.

Sweet looks like a blast, I know I got a boatload of parts I could bring up there too, how much is it to get a booth set up?

outskirtscustoms said:
Sweet looks like a blast, I know I got a boatload of parts I could bring up there too, how much is it to get a booth set up?

They charge $10 for a parking space. :wink:

Uncle Stretch said:
Man that Goodyear for $150 would have been a deal :( :cry: :cry: :cry:

Yeah...I walked over to the guy and asked how much for the bike and he said it had sold this morning before he could even get it off the trailer. When he said $150 I then knew why it had sold that fast. The seat and grips were not original, but it would be hard to beat that tank and skiptooth set up.

It was a good swap meet. Still lots of stuff that they were more than willing to bargain down with when I got there around 11:30. Unfortunately I came away with nothing, not that there wasn't some really cool stuff there! I'm just mulling things over in my head for my next build and I'm not sure which direction I'm going yet, so I couldn't decide what to buy! :roll:

i had a blast walkin around yesterday, talked to some really cool people, and saw some really cool bikes. it was also cool meeting Rat Rod... I cant wait until next year.

Tell me you didn't sell the '65........... :wink: :D

We didn't get home from DFW until about 6 pm. Maybe next year!

I took my little girls out. They were excited to go to their first "swamp" meet, but were bummed that I didn't trade off one of my bikes. I picked up a Columbia frame and some extra long handlebars for my next next next build. Great day, wore the girls out, bought a little bit, and everybodies happy. Do I have to wait a year for the next one?

Anybody know who owns the magna teardrop pedals in picture #4 from the top? I need one left side pedal and I see a lonely pedal sitting there that just might be my match, and I might be interested in the other 2 pairs that are sitting there on the blanket if they are still available????? PLEASE help me! Now I know why all of my traditional hot rod buddies are moving to Texas, you guys have ALL the good stuff!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

All I can tell ya was that it was an older Hispanic man wearing a hat sitting on his tailgate selling that stuff.

Darn, Ok. Well I posted a "Wanted" as well as a post for the great pictures you took over on the CABE so hopefully something turns up? Next time you gotta take down names and contact info for those of us who are o so unfortunate!!!! Thanks!!!!!!!!!!!

I don't know his last name he's ride with the rusty riders here in Houston. We were talking about how he picked up that bike for $150 when we rode Saturday.

That's my kinda swap meet... I hope that ours here in Haysville will eventually grow to be that big... Lots of good parts and bike there... Good thing it was so far from me, probably would have drained savings... 8)

Latest posts

Back