NOS parts Sell and Resell

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey Yeshoney, I really appreciate the hub you sent out here for me, and even though it hasn't been put to intended use just yet (it will :wink: ), it's got value just for the fact that when my mates ask what I've got in my parts box, I say "Oh, you know, just a hard to get hub that I got for a good price from a bloke from the States 8) " and they go all "oooohhh-ahhhhh :shock: " To me it's paid for itself already :D .

My dad told me something when I was young. Figure out what you think your thing is worth and sell it for that. If someone buys it and sells it for more then you got what you wanted and you should be happy. I saw a guy at a gun show buy a Greener shotgun for $300 and walked over about five tables and sold it to a collector for $3000. Did he mess over anybody...probably ...should he teach everybody the value of their stuff....no. Life goes on you get some deals and sometimes you dont...Get over it.

What I hate is like when the guy bought all the crossbrace bars from Memory Lane for $35 each then put 'em on ebay for $65. I've seen them lately for $75 too. It makes the crusty beat up ones I might have been able to afford out of my price range. ~Adam

deorman said:
Buying something cheap and reselling it is fair. Making up a .... and bull story about how it's needed for a purpose and then just flipping it is not.
Well Said

I sold off a large pile of me stuff last year for fair prices. I sold stuff to friends for cheaper prices and some stuff I gave away, and then I sold stuff I wanted to keep, because somebody would talk me out of it and I sold it with one condition if you want to sell it you have to offer it to me first.
I just bought back my 1962 Jaguar and my 1959 Western Flyer Golden Flyer for the same price I sold them for. I sold Three speed convertions to one of my freinds so cheap he still says he thinks he owes me. Not at all, I'm just glad he could figure out how to put them back together. I like this hobby and I just hope that we treat one another with respect, like someone else said karma will catch up with you if I don't first.

Don
P.S. Yeshoney, I bought some hubs from you a long time ago and I just decided what I'm doing to build with them. Thanks

Buddy, friend, fellow, colleague, all of those are two way deals. Sure you're being a pal by selling the guy something cheap. What sort of friend is he to be asking you to? That isn't your friend who wants work or product on the cheap. Well maybe it is if there's a history of below market exchange between you or within your group.

But, if there isn't that history then it isn't you being a jerk for refusing to sell at a bargain. It is him being a jerk for asking, begging, pleading for you to do so.

I get guys asking me to do work cheap. "It's easy for you." No, it isn't. I'm not a crook for charging for what I've spent decades learning to do and acquiring the tools.

Back