NOS still in sealed box Bendix redline hubs!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My friend has been cleaning out an old bicycle shop that has been closed since the 80's. He ran across some NOS sealed boxes of Bendix redline hubs. a few boxes are 36 hole and a few are 24 hole. Now he says they are 3 speed hubs but I think they are coaster brake hubs. I am not an expert but I thought the single red line Bendix hubs were coaster hubs. Thing is these boxes are still sealed from the factory when they were made back in the 50's and 60's He says there are 10 hubs per box. He is looking for $35 a hub which I think is fair. I just hate to see him break open the sealed box. Would anybody be interested in a factory sealed box? Or do you guys think that really doesn't matter that its still sealed?

Fryguy

You really need a Picture, Price and Location for this thread.

seems like a bit of cloudy info

Bendix had a handful of different hubs, 24h sounds like a Bendix Junior (kids bike) hub, there were 3 different bendix single red band hubs that i know of that came in 28h and 36h hubs all single speed coasters, some more common than others.... then theres the hole 3 speed mention which really has me wondering what they actually are.

personally i would rather know what it is im buying instead of taking a chance getting the wrong hub / wrong hole count / wrong brake / wrong speed. Value wise, i think it would be worth it to know what your selling exactly so i would open it and take pics before selling them.

My buddy tells me that the box is marked with all the Bendix markings. He mentions one box says 3 speed 36 hole hubs. I'll get him to get all the proper information. Who knows it may all be the bendix junk hubs and thats why its been on the shelf for years.

Fryguy

fryguy said:
... Who knows it may all be the bendix junk hubs and thats why its been on the shelf for years.

Fryguy

:lol:

I dont know if it would pertain to "NOS" bicycle parts, but I've got a friend of the family that's pretty big into restorations of older cars, he swears anytime he finds old "NOS" car parts it's because they were rejects and weren't fit to use on a car back in the day. :mrgreen:

Seems like a steal. Red band hubs were still American made, weren't they?

Don't remember Bendix ever making a three speed hub? Do remember them being sold in box's containing 10 or 12 quantity.The red bands, Multispeeds, and Automatic hubs were manufactured by Bendix Aviation Corp. The model 70's and 76's were manufactured by Bendix Division of Colt Industries.

As far as Bendix (Red Band) hubs, I have ever only seen two. RB-1 and RB-2 1 being the earlier of the 2 and both are american made single speed coaster brake hubs. :wink:

Latest posts

Back