Not crazy about my Mercury!!!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Ok here we go last friday I took a day off from work to work on the family truckster aka 94 Mercury Sable wagon to replace the brakes so I jack the thing up planning on replacing front and rears,check the fronts they have plenty left the rear disc are about to go metal to metal .So I pull the caliper off both sides and then I find this bracket preventing me from taking off the rotor..I'm thinking no big so I proceed to remove and someone coated the bolts with loctite (thank you)so now I am breaking a sweat since I cant reach any of my airtools into the location.Finally remove the rotors take them to Kragens of course they dont have enough meat to turn so I figure no warp slap them back on at this point they still have legal thickness,purchase pads go home proceed to compress pistons and they will not budge..get C clamp still no budge ..call friend tells me about how you have to screw them back into place...and you need special tool 20 miles away auto parts store closes 15 minutes (okay curvy 20 miles away)hello vise grips put it together do alittle test drive and the rear brakes are smoking after a short trip. Next day go purchase tool $19.99 take off brakes crank down piston more and line up pads with the groove in piston this time seem to be a little better but I still need to bleed the brakes so much for simple brake jobs. I will stick to working on bikes

I hate working on anything newer than the 80's and I hate 'special tools' even more!!! :|

thats a ford for ya!(sorry joke from work) im sure you did but....... did you remove the brake fluid resivior cap when you were trying to compress the pads? as for loctite.......a butane or propane torch works wonders for getting it to break :wink:

a good parts man who sold you the rear pads should have told you about the tool!
I work at Napa and warn customers about that all the time and people always come in who bought pads elsewhere asking about the tool.

Hooch said:
a good parts man who sold you the rear pads should have told you about the tool!
I work at Napa and warn customers about that all the time and people always come in who bought pads elsewhere asking about the tool.
The sad thing is I used to work at Napa as a machinist so I was always at the other end of the brake work and the really sad thing is they dont make parts men like they used to,these pads were from Napa.Not the store I worked in.

Ya I replaced the brakes on my 95 sable a year ago but luckily I had the tool so wasnt a biggy, but It was one of the universal ones that had like one size on each side and it seemed like none of them would fit right and it kept wanting to slip out so it took forever to push the caliper back in.

SENSOR why you want to throw down on a ford. If it were not for chevy I wouldnt have a job. The company I work for has all chevys and they break EVERY DAY. :mrgreen:

tnt1 said:
SENSOR why you want to throw down on a ford. If it were not for chevy I wouldnt have a job. The company I work for has all chevys and they break EVERY DAY. :mrgreen:
nothing against fords mechanically(or any other car for that matter....my dream car is a 28' A) i do collision work and the joke we have is anytime one of us gets an american car well all try pawning it off on someone else(or mudwork for that matter :wink: )

Latest posts

Back