Not Normal

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I picked up a Girvin fork from Vipon. I have always wanted one. It got here safe and I tried to stick it on a bike. The only thing I have right now with the right neck size is an aluminum Del Sol. I replaced the elastomers with a spring. My fab buddy cut one of those porch springs shorter and then heated the top ring and mashed it flat so it would fit the holder. Then I ran into it having a bottom race that is for a big bearing. Everything I have including my cups are the smaller size ones. Back down to my fab guy and he turned the tube down where the small race would fit. Took him three minutes. So I got it put on. Still need to take it back apart and polish the whole fork. I'm thinking about stripping the paint off the frame and polishing it like the fork. So its not normal for me to build anything that isn't stretched. I am pretty sure I will build something to utilize the fork that is long and low and cool looking.

DSCF0003-5.jpg

DSCF0004-2.jpg

Clancy that whole fork is made. There is no way to change any part of it...well unless you cut and tig weld something else on it.

Thanks Scott. Need to finish putting it together and see how it rides.

IMG_0418.jpg

IMG_0417.jpg

IMG_0415.jpg

Well I got my bike stuck together. It rides nice. Still needs a setback seatpost. Gives me something to do. I decided to put a 3 speed Nexus on. Had it laying there so why not. It had some whitewalls on them so I just left them on....not my first choice in tires. Oh well.

IMG_0420.jpg

IMG_0422.jpg

you could recreate the bottom portion of the stem that doubles as the upper pivot/mounting point in steel, then go to a quill type stem slipped inside the steerer tube. You'd have to remove the star nut somehow or just beat it down lower. Not really sure how you would adjust the headset from that point but maybe you could figure that out :?:

Thanks Steve. It should be a pretty nice bike once I'm finished. It does ok riding, but when your use to a seat farther back , it kinda feels close. I will come up with something.
Walker those forks are so designed , that to change anything would be extremely difficult. Being aluminum makes it even harder. Can't just stick stuff together with some weld.

Walker said:
I'm well aware of that.

It is possible to do , but would require a milling machine and way more talents than I poses. Once you look at one of these forks you see they are really lightly built. I bought this one with the intentions of making a copy. Would really require a bunch of work and money.

I've owned one of those forks. That design in particular kind of puts you in a corner with regard to fit. Definitely wasn't Pro Flex's best idea to incorporate the upper linkage into the stem so that you cant really change the reach to the bars without special parts from them. Nevertheless, I'm sure you'll come up with something creative like the rest of your builds!

Back