not really a rat bike, but here's my latest project

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is a Giant stilletto that I got for free a few months ago.
it was in really bad shape. The frame had a lot of rust on it, the tank, fender and chain guard had been painted blue with a rattle can. the sidewalls of both tires were blown out, the front rim was shot, and it had some bmx bars on it.
I tore it all apart, cleaned all of the chrome, painted and re-built the back rim, added a hoggy G slick rear tire from 3-g bikes.
the front rim is an aluminum araya 700c off of a road bike. I polished the hoop and painted the spokes. the front tire is a really skinny road bike tire. I bought a complete road bike for $10.00 just for the front rim. The handlebars are some specialized aluminum mountain bike bars that i got for free from the local bike recyling shop. the only real modification that i made was the shifter, I got an old 5 speed stick shifter off e-bay for $10.00, and i mounted it to the frame. I had to modify the mounting bracket of the shifter to make it fit under the fake gas tank.
the rear wheek is a 7 speed, but the shifter is only a 5 speed, so it only has 1-5 gears instead of 1-7.
I cut a slot in the top of the fake gas tank for the shifter to come through it. I made the shift knob out of an old minature pool ball. I sandblasted the tank and fender down to bare metal and then primed and painted them.
The paint on the tank and fender is aztec gold laquer with about 5 coats of clear laquer over it.
the grips are chrome with rubber diamond inserts.
the brake lever is an old aluminum one that was once black. I stripped all of the black paint off and polished the brake lever.
including the cost of the tires, paint, shifter, road bike and cables, i have about $100.00, and a few hours of my own labor in this bike.
I just got it all back together on christmas eve.
gold1.jpg

gold4.jpg

gold2.jpg

ratcycle said:
Can you walk us how u built that tank? I want to build one for my chopper.
I didn't build the tank, all giant stilletto choppers come with this tank.
all i did was cut the slot in it for the shifter to come through it.

Back