Not So New Old Guy w/ Project Pics

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Sunny Florida Starting October 1, 2016!!!
Rating - 100%
15   0   0
I joined this site on May 12th so I've been hanging around a few weeks. I wanted to be able to add images to my posts before I did an intro - I still don't know if it will work yet. I'm a baby boomer now trying to recapture a part of my youth that was a lot of fun - messing around with bikes. I bought my first bike for $2 from a friend who received a brand new one from his parents. Little did I know that bike would forever spoil me - it was a stripped down roadmaster with the shockmaster springer front end. I did all the usual kid stuff - put fenders & a chain guard on it, repainted it, then stripped all the crap back off it - it was destined to be a RatRod. I always wanted to get another bike like that so when I discovered the Luxury Liner reissues a couple months ago I was elated. After watching ebay for a while I purchased one that had been stored in an attic after assembly. There was surface rust on all the chrome but if there's one thing I learned to do as a youth was clean rusty chrome. Here it is -

1998 Roadmaster Luxury Liner Reissue
11998RoadmasterLuxuryLinerReissue.jpg

I've purchased a total of 12 bikes in the last 2 months - all but two are fat tires. I really like the late prewar early post war bikes with the tanks & racks & springers and all the bells and whistles. I've made a few purchases here and 1 trade and read tons of stuff - I really like the "Fresh Finds". I have coveted many a bike enthusiast for their hunting techniques and good fortune which they shamelessly shared with us w/ photos & hard luck stories of freebies. This is a fun & informative site for what appears to be all ages & walks of life. Keep up the good work and by all means have fun! Robert (Road Master) P.S. I am finally able to add photos - Special Thanx to Rat Rod for helping me!!!
I've got a couple of toys to play with besides a Columbia 5 Star restoration. These are how they came-

1952 Schwinn Admiral DX
91952SchwinnAdmiralDX.jpg
10.jpg

Future RatRod project

1940s J.C. Higgins Colorflow
231940sSearsJCHigginsColorflow5-24-.jpg

This is what it looked like when the previous owner got it

This is what it looked like when I got it
23A.jpg

He gave me a lot of parts also - rear fender, rack, & and a set of ladies skirts but no tank. I was thinking about restoring it until I rode it - a powered classic bicycle is a gas to ride! So I'm gonna leave the engine on it. I'm going to change the wheels - got a 1.75 on the back - to HD paperboy models w/ some 65 psi tires, chop the fenders, & reinstall the rack and finally add the skirts. I'm gonna stick with the red & black paint scheme - might even try a little masking for fun. I don't know if this qualifies as a RatRod because it's powered but it will be that much fun to build. Thanks

Re: Not So New Old Guy

Sorry about that - when I first registered I typed in Road Master as two words kind of as a play on words and it was accepted by the site so I didn't know until after a couple weeks that there was a member with the username roadmaster when I saw a thread he had responded to. Should I/Can I change it?

Welcome! :) I can only speak for myself, but I'm capable of separating roadmaster from Road Master. :) No problemo as far as I'm concerned, but I guess it's more important that roadmaster is ok with it...

Welcome!..........Just don't call yourself Ko Ta. :lol:

Latest posts

Back