Not The Greatest But FREE

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
34   0   0
Went to the local market and ran into an old neighbor and said that he's been trying to find to have me come by his house.. So I agreed to come over his house and hands me this MTB for free. I tried to offer him some $$$ and he said, NO it's cool I just need it out of my garage and do what you want with it.. I said KOOL.!!! Here it is all cleaned up, lubed up and aired up... The Store Getter Picker Upper Ride now..

Free bikes are great no matter what they are IMHO. You got a bonus since it's complete and not broken. Looks to have good potential for a store getter.

My brother road the same exact bike for years (close to 20 I'm guessing), he never did a thing too it but ride it. The crank started wobbling so i started taking the crank apart ... nothing but rust fell out :lol: Some new used bearings and it's as good as 10 years ago :mrgreen:

The paint on this thing was neirly perfect but for now all I see in this bike is a getter but I might consider selling it to get parts for my project..

These old big box bikes get a lot of flak, but are actually solid if they are given the right treatment to begin with. The problem was they often didn't get assembled correctly and were not assembled with enough grease in the bearings.

I usually avoid these bikes when I am trying to flip 'em unless they are in good shape like yours and are super cheap. I have found a few that were obviously never ridden and they are the best because the hubs and bottom bracket are usually clean in addition to bone dry, so a quick wipe, smear in some grease, and slap it back together.

Good find you got there.

the_undecider said:
These old big box bikes get a lot of flak, but are actually solid if they are given the right treatment to begin with. The problem was they often didn't get assembled correctly and were not assembled with enough grease in the bearings.

I usually avoid these bikes when I am trying to flip 'em unless they are in good shape like yours and are super cheap. I have found a few that were obviously never ridden and they are the best because the hubs and bottom bracket are usually clean in addition to bone dry, so a quick wipe, smear in some grease, and slap it back together.

Good find you got there.
Thanks.
I agree also.. Lucky enough that this wasn't the case of the dry bearings problem.. Lucky that this is one of the solid ones. Only thing that I had to replace was the rear brake pads. Stops on a dime now.. A true save here,

I usually try to keep a bike for sale like this, $20.00 is all I ask, that way I can give it to a deserving soul. Good find.

Latest posts

Back