not too old Western Flyer

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I picked up this Western Flyer today. Its in pretty good shape. The patina is a bit worn and the stickers are mostly gone,but it had a tank that actually came on it.It has some off brand rear hub but it has 3 grooves cut into it. I rode it some and it felt like it has a kickback hub that needs some oil. works sometimes. Felt stupid riding along stomping on the brake. Needs a front fender ,but hey its almost complete. Anybody got one that will work pm me. Kinda white with the red stripes. Its not too old because it has the dreded reflectors. Im thinking 70ish. Anybody got any clues?

flyer2.jpg

flyer4.jpg

Cool bike..... Someone else here has one of those with that paint job. What does the brake arm say? My Redband kickback has deeper grooves on the hub shell. The yellow and blue have the same deepgrooves. Maybe a Fitchel and Sachs Duomatic.

Ok this cheap piece,say coaster brake with a cb in the middle. nothing on the inside,but either i am just wishful thinking or when you step on the brake it feels a little easier to pedal. i figure its sombodys cheap copy of a kickback hub. i will oil it up and try again. im not really wanting to keep it. i just bought it to resell to some unsuspecting....uh ..er deserving person. :wink:

fresh coat of paint and someone will pay for it :mrgreen: wish it couldshine up without losing the c/g decals tho :(

just from the looks of the front / rear / wheel reflectors id say 80s is a safe bet :mrgreen: but those come off easy enough, still a cool lookin bike !!!

His is in lots better shape . Since I dont have the front fender I think Ill go for the rebuild as this one. A couple after market chrome fenders,some spray paint and voila a better looking bike all around. Now where did i put that funny looking springer that looks like this one. Oh I dont have one of them either...hummm cheap chrome springer should do the trick. :wink:

3c73_3.jpg

sensor said:

yeah you think that now and at the last minute it goes for $125 plus shipping. Steve and I are swapping a new monarch for a new brooks and we both get them this weekend so I may use that. Hey a springer is a springer is a springer I always say. Most of the people I sell to couldnt tell you what was suppose to be on it . :roll: :wink:

Thats what my green and yeller John Deere bike started out as. I was told it was a late 80's remake. This means you can do what ever with it and not feel bad for it! 8) :D 8) :D :mrgreen:
Picture3091-1.jpg

Man you did a really good job on the paint,of course im partial to the colors since they match the John Deere tractor i have in my garage. :mrgreen:

Yeah these bikes were reproduced in the 80's. Here's mine that I picked up off of craigslist & then put a motor on it. Some say I ruined by putting the motor on it because it was a completely original bike but............... oh well!!!!!!!! I like it
P4060023.jpg

P4280004.jpg

Man that looks good too. Im getting all excited with the possibilities of this bike . I 'm pretty sure i can do something with it. :roll:

Back