...now for something completely different, upside MTB frame

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
100_0283.jpg

Something I've been workin on. Not really a rat but it is built from many bikes and many parts.Upside down mono shock MTB frame with BB piece welded in. I'm trying to tie in the old with the new. I think I'll get rid of the front fenders front braces. I might make "body panels" that tie the frame in with the rear fender and hide the seat stay. Let me know what you think, I'm open to criticism and any input. Thanx, Mark

cool gerometry..I just spent 30 minutes
in Photoshop with the picture and I'm lost.
I think a classic Fender..like the old Heritage
Hogs have where they are bobbed at the back
and swoop forward..like a scoop..at the front.
Then you would have to extend your Front
fender..or rotate it forward and re-mount it.
I like the BIG Fender struts.They keep that
Classic Motorbike look to it.
Maybe an Oil Pan style in the
center frame area below the seat as a
body panel.

Just don't put a Rim with a Gazillion Spokes in it.
It will look to Lowriderish,
and that's not what I see.

Great build,
keep the progress pic's commin.
peace,
kev.

Thanx Kev.

I too am lost. I thought that since I've been lookin at it so long that I might be missin the obvious. I agree 100% on the lowrider look risk and that is NOT what I'm after. heck who knows, maybe red rims and white walls...I DON"T KNOW!! I like your idea about the oil pan "panels"...Thanx for your thoughts and keep 'em coming!!! Mark

you could even put a Faux Oil Cap ....like a filler cap off of a presure washer gas tank.

I have yet to see...and I'm gonna do one..a Primer Red Oxide bike.Maybe I'm missin something but in My neck of the woods,
Rat Rod cars and Trucks Fly
Red Oxide Primer as a finish.
It looks great with Red Wheels and WWW tires.
Then Pin stripe the bike with a white to go with it.

Primer Red the Oil Tank too and it will be a HUGE canvas for some Traditional art...

like a Smokin Hot Pin up girl!

and if your going to run Gears you can have a Shifter mounted LOW
and back, with a big Knarley suicide shifter Rod that
hangs way out on the one side.

Just my 2 cents...

isnt that an upside down mountain bike then hacked? Looks good!

Hey, check this out. Someone already builds a bike like that ..... haha.

Of course theirs is the mini version ..... and I think they forgot the pedals and chain.

Bikke.gif

what are you going to do for a seat? why dont you put a bb in that upper mount then make two rods that curve back over the rear then use a bannana seat. then find some repop krate shock sissy bar hehe. i would go with the red wheels and whitewall tires to keep it ol'skool. nice work i like to see fresh designs.

why dont you put a bb in that upper mount
then make two rods that curve
back over the rear

Hey Karf..I'm trying to picture this
Bottom Bracket Mount your talking about..
where would it mount? Above the top tube?

now for something completely different...

What would I do ?????

Run a 24 " rear w/ 24x3.0 fattie-o tire, a banana seat or laid back seat post saddle, you'll need to watch the clearance between the bars and the up- peddle position

Iff you run multi speed definitly a shifter some where low for that old skool jockey shift look

color : something metal flake [green :mrgreen: ] black rims gloss? and fat white walls.......maybe real Harley ape hangers :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

well it was just a thought :|

...now its ratty...

Now its ratty... Been messin with it a little...it rides really cool!!! Gonna cut the ends of the sissy bar (from a motorcycle?) off at the clamps, try a 26" on front, and maybe different bars...if I can stop ridin it long enough!!! Had to rig the seat post, dont care for it.
100_0887.jpg

Thanx Giggles...its been a blast!
Changed the bars to apes, cut the sissy bar, switched to a coaster rear,an overspoked on the front,(when I turn, all the weight of the front of the bike is on the sidewall),cut the seatpost down,threw a cool old chrome housed reflector on under the seat, and a serving-set fork end (flipend :D ) on the forks. This thing is UGLY but SOOOOOOO COOOOL!!
100_0893.jpg

100_0891.jpg

100_0890.jpg

100_0892.jpg

...oh yeah, I found a "plug" for the old BB hole, a chrome cap with the spikey tines that grab..

Did you lower the seat or did the chrome housed reflector cause it to go lower?

I think that I like the look of it a little better with the seat up just a little.
But other then that it looks great!!

Can't wait to see more pictures! Are you painting it and if so what are your colors?

thanx giggles..I lowered it. Not too sure about it, but for now it works..as far as paint goes I'm not really sure... I ordered a 3 inch wide tire for the rear but might "beef" up the rear triangle somehow, or maybe a fat rear fender or something... It sure is fun to ride though!!

Back