number of spokes

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I would put as many Spokes on it...as their are
holes in The Rim!.....sorry..I could resist. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Most new BMX wheels that are decent for Road Riding and the odd Trick have 48 Spokes.
Like a Haro Freestlye BMX and the Likes.

The Average BMX Cruising Rim will have 36 Spokes.

peace,
Kev.

here's what i did, i took a 36 hole rim, removed the hub and spokes, and laced it with a different hub that holes more holes in the flanges than the hub i replaced, this allowed a custom spoke pattern that is symetrical and loooks very cool, then i dissassembled it again to paint some stuff to match the rest of the bike. i think the wheel will have a total of 20 spokes. there wont be any rime brakes on that wheel either. should i post pics of the wheel before i took it apart? i took some to make sure i could get it back together! fast eddie outty

Well I have seen a wheel with just 1 "spoke" before :shock: :lol: For what you are proposing if it is laced evenly I think 20 would be the bare minimum. I have had bikes with as few as 24 spokes in a conventional wheel with no problems.

Aaron

fast eddie said:
is there a minimum numbers of spokes in a bmx size wheel necessary for the wheel to be sturdy enough for frequent road riding? it wont be getting jumped or anything, just street cruising. i cant wait to post pics of this thing!!!!

fast eddie outty

This type of wheel requires unusually high spoke tension, since the load is carried by fewer spokes. If a spoke does break, the wheel generally becomes instantly unridable.

the big problem with running a low number of spokes is if you're a sidewalk rider...going from sidewalk-to-street-back-to-sidewalk even when the sidewalk is at ALMOST street level during the transition...you put stress on the wheel from the side increasing the chance for a bent rim/broken spoke.

Latest posts

Back