Oamaru Cycle Works old bikes in New Zealand

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kingfish254

BUILD COOL BIKES AND HAVE FUN!!
Pro Member
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
130   0   0
I could have sworn that I posted these before, but I don't see them.

In 2010 we went to New Zealand and happened across the Oamaru Cycle Works museum as they were closing. This nice man opened it back up and showed me through, then he went on a penny farthing ride with his nephew. Pretty cool stuff.

IMG_0418.jpg

IMG_0396.jpg

IMG_0395.jpg

IMG_0394.jpg

IMG_0393.jpg

IMG_0392.jpg

IMG_0391.jpg

IMG_0390.jpg

IMG_0389.jpg

IMG_0388.jpg

IMG_0387.jpg

IMG_0420.jpg

IMG_0397.jpg

IMG_0398.jpg

IMG_0401.jpg

IMG_0402.jpg

IMG_0405.jpg
IMG_0406.jpg

IMG_0407.jpg

IMG_0408.jpg

IMG_0410.jpg

IMG_0411.jpg

IMG_0412.jpg

IMG_0413.jpg

Re: Omaru Cycle Works old bikes in New Zealand

Awesome, I wonder where I could find a large wheel and tires to build one of my own.

That place is awesome 8)

Dman, I guess you have probably been to Omaru and seen this shop before?
How have things been in Christchurch since the big quake?

Hey Kingfish, yeah Oamaru is a regular stop for us on our many roadtrips south. It's about two and a half hours drive from Christchurch. That shop is just part of a whole section of town near the waterfront that has been restored in turn of the century style. But rather than being a museum sort of setup it's just run like any commercial business area - shops are all operating, and there's some great pubs!

Christchurch is still pretty stuffed - over 10000 aftershocks since the first big one in September 2010. Nobody even raises an eyebrow for anything under magnitude 4.5 any more! The central city is still cordoned off and there's a lot of buildings being demolished daily. Life is pretty interesting here!

christchurch-quake-hit.jpg

Somehow I miss this response.
That photo is wild!
Such a shame. Christchurch was such a wonderful city with so much history. I sure hope it is bouncing back and rebuilding by now.

kingfish254 said:
Somehow I miss this response.
That photo is wild!
Such a shame. Christchurch was such a wonderful city with so much history. I sure hope it is bouncing back and rebuilding by now.

Well, things are not too good down there. I can't remember the exact figures, but something like 80% of the buildings in the city had to come down... I think they are still working on it actually. The Cathedral is coming down, and there was a big hoo haa over that. Many people wanted it saved, but I think the decision has been made to replace it. :(

There are people still in limbo over what is to be done with their homes. My brother for example, only just found out two days ago that his house can now be rebuilt. They will hopefully start after Christmas and it will take six months. So after living in a cracked and drafty house since the 22nd of February 2011, with silt from liquefaction up to the floorboards, he might finally be in a warm house for next winter. :)

So there is some rebuilding going on, but not a lot of major stuff yet. Still a lot of planning, and a lot of "temporary" structures. When building starts in earnest, the problem will be where to house the workers. :roll:

Earthquakes are ongoing too... in Christchurch and elsewhere. A 6.6 struck the top of the South Island, near Seddon, yesterday (Friday) at 2:30pm. So New Zealand is still pretty shaky at the moment... but that is to be expected considering we are right on the boundary of two tectonic plates. We are just one big faultline really. :|

Hopefully Dman or someone else that is still living down there will see this and report in.

Glen.

Bump this cool travel bike memory from 2010 now that I have my own Penny Farthing.

1697547062204.png

Did you go to Richardsons Truck Museum in Invercargill?

We didn't make it to Invercargill. We spent two or three weeks on the North and South Island. Christchurch was our favorite city. Just lucky we saw it before the quake.

Latest posts

Back