Odd day @ swap meet

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I usually go to my local swap meet on sundays and almost always get skunked.But this week was different.I scored a Troxel seatpan,1 miller dyno lite,1 national lite with dyno,a bucket of schwinn parts and what I believe is an early 50s canti frame for $30.I checked out the serial ##s on the bottom bracket housing-I58992(or close to that,I'm at work :mrgreen: ).Checked the Schwinn database and the bb numbers stop at H without an I in sight.Any ideas?A Corvette chain guard was also included,but I think it might be from a different bike.
150.jpg

149.jpg

Great finds. Schwinn didn't use a capitol "I" because they figured it would get confused for a one. You may have to take some more paint off the bottom bracket at the serial number to get a clearer view of the number. Schwinn moved the serial numbers from the BB to the left rear dropout in 1952 so your frame is at the most a 1951 if the number is on the BB...Pappy 8)

Looks like a capitol I to me. Schwinn indeed used capitol I's before the war and shortly after. I also have an I prefix Schwinn frame. Gary

B607 said:
Looks like a capitol I to me. Schwinn indeed used capitol I's before the war and shortly after. I also have an I prefix Schwinn frame. Gary

Interesting.Thanx for the info Gary. :idea: I should Ebay it!"Incredibly rare SCHWINN",haha. :mrgreen:

I am a little confused though, I was always told that the built in kickstands did not come in until the 60s... have I always been told wrong?

I believe 1946 was the first year for the built in kickstand on schwinns

ok cool. that explains alot... I love how much I learn and relearn on this forum. it is an amazingly informative community. Awesome. thanks

A.S.BOLTNUT said:
Looks like a King frame :idea:

Hey Boltnut,was King the name of the bike,or as in Kingsize?I'm intruiged.

1speedJam1982 said:
ok cool. that explains alot... I love how much I learn and relearn on this forum. it is an amazingly informative community. Awesome. thanks
+1

Back