Ok has anyone found a conversion to go from a freewheel to Coaster setup?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know it may be a really dumb ... question, but is there such a conversion without having to change the hub? I have a set of 68 spoke rims that have a freewheel sproket on them and want to switch it to a coaster brake setup... any advice?

The coaster brake is inside the coaster hub, your freewheel hub has to be changed out, probably requiring different length spokes. You could possibly buy a new 68spoke wheel c/w the coaster cheaper than redoing yours.
FWIW, if I were changing I would be looking at a multi-speed coaster brake hub rather than a single speed.

There is!! It was called the Magic Freewheel. I've bought one on this site, but I've never used it yet, so I don't know how well it works. It goes on like a freewheel, and has an extra ratcheting looking attachment that is the brake.

They're rare. Here's a brief mention of them. I might be willing to sell the one I have.

http://www.instructables.com/community/Magic-Freewheel-Bike-Frame/

I dont see how that 'Magic-Freewheel' is a coasterbrake

It's got a little ratcheting attachment that connects to the freewheel. I wish I could find more info on it, but there's just not much on the net.

re: Magic Freewheel "The link says it can allow you to pedal backwards to go forwards"

yep, not a brake in any way.

68 spokes? Sure it's not 72? There are plenty of 72 spoke wheels out there in front, rear with coaster, 20" 24" 26" etc. Buy one and swap the hubs. Most 72's have flanges that are about the same size so you can reuse your red rim and spokes. Starting at about $60 shipped. And you could reassemble the leftover parts to sell to recoup some of the cost.

Or buy a 72 spoke coaster wheel and paint the rim red. Personally I remove the spokes before painting rims. That's easier than masking everything.

Pretty sure it is a 68... I taped one spoke off and then counted.. LOL It came off of one of those fugly west coast chopper bikes.. (not the rather cool 20" tire Jesse James WCC bike)

Well it is a matter of brakes.. I really dont want to have to mount a caliper on it, and don't have an option as far as a mountain bike friction brake setup without welding.. and living in Pittsburgh one does tend to encounter some hills, even on the cruiser style rails to trails...

I do have a line on some 24" dyno rims that look to be NOS with the coaster brake, but the more I look at the multi spoke rims and tires the more I like the look.. Originally this Deuce was to replace an earlier generation one I had (in shiny black and a tad different, that I swapped off for a Felt and vintage Evans 2 spd)) but the more I move forward on this one the more inclined I am to customise it beyond just adding the tall apes to it..

re: Magic Freewheel "The link says it can allow you to pedal backwards to go forwards"

yep, not a brake in any way.

68 spokes? Sure it's not 72? There are plenty of 72 spoke wheels out there in front, rear with coaster, 20" 24" 26" etc. Buy one and swap the hubs. Most 72's have flanges that are about the same size so you can reuse your red rim and spokes. Starting at about $60 shipped. And you could reassemble the leftover parts to sell to recoup some of the cost.

Or buy a 72 spoke coaster wheel and paint the rim red. Personally I remove the spokes before painting rims. That's easier than masking everything.

As far as I can tell, that whole pedal backward to go forward thing is talking about the Super Gear, not the Magic Freewheel. See the description to when 509clunk sold it:

http://ratrodbikes.com/forum/index.php?threads/magic-freewheel-and-super-gear-nos.67039/

Back