Ok, need some Schwinn help.....

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good morning fellow spokies, Yesterday my wife and I picked up three bicycles......

an older Huffy Good Vibrations men's cruiser (with apehangers,l aired the tires and rode that one already)

an older crappily repainted 24" Ladies Schwinn with a 3 speed Sturmey Archer rear hub (YES!!! I've been wanting one of those,lol)

an old TALL Schwinn all original men's road bike with stem shifters and etc. 27" I believe (This one I plan to sell.....no way in heck I can fit this bike)

My question is, I need to ID the 24" ladies bike....I plan to restore it for my wife...but would like to find out exactly what it is. I copied the numbers from the headtube and they are:

KP508727

also the Schwinn badge had the numbers: "3358" stamped into it...if it means anything.

I tried finding out dating info on Schwinn's site...but I guess I have to be a genious to keep up over there :roll:

THANKS guys!

Brian

Rat Rod said:

WOW that was fast! THANKS for the help man....... I wonder if there's any way to tell with the serial # what color the bike used to be?? Or what specific model?

I'll try to shoot some pics today sometime.......I'm supposed to be picking up a 3 wheel trike today (God I hope the guy sticks to his word....$20!)

I was just really busy yesterday and kept tinkering with the Huffy cruiser...lol

also, anyone know about dating old Sear's bikes?? I've got a 20" Sears boys bike that's a Stingray clone....and I bought it from the original owners about 7 years ago for $5. It still had the oldschool banana seat covered with faded denim. The old "Pueblo,Colorado" license plate was still hanging from frame ....For some reason I keep thinking it's a '69...... I'll try to grab the numbers from it today too.

gotta have pictures to ID anything...forum rules :wink: :lol:

I would guess that the Schwinn is a Typhoon. Here is a link to one of the best Schwinn reference sites I have found. He concentrates on the lightweights but there is some middle weight info in there too.

Aaron 8)

wahoonc said:
gotta have pictures to ID anything...forum rules :wink: :lol:

I would guess that the Schwinn is a Typhoon. Here is a link to one of the best Schwinn reference sites I have found. He concentrates on the lightweights but there is some middle weight info in there too.

Aaron 8)

LOL, Aaron, I know it's blasphemy to not post pics while asking for ID help :oops:

Hopefully all will be forgiven when I do post pics of my hauls later today 8)

TexasXXX said:
an older crappily repainted 24" Ladies Schwinn with a 3 speed Sturmey Archer rear hub (YES!!! I've been wanting one of those,lol)

My question is, I need to ID the 24" ladies bike....I plan to restore it for my wife...but would like to find out exactly what it is. I copied the numbers from the headtube and they are:

KP508727

also the Schwinn badge had the numbers: "3358" stamped into it...if it means anything.

With an SA 3-speed, the date should be on the hub body...and with the headbadge stamp, it might be a 1988

TexasXXX said:
I wonder if there's any way to tell with the serial # what color the bike used to be?? Or what specific model?

To the best of my knowledge, there is no model or colour data contained in the serial #. The best way to find the original colour is to have a look inside the bottom bracket shell, inside the headtube or on the forks steer tube. These parts are almost never painted when a bike is refinished. Kinda like the inside of a car door when the car is painted.

If you're lucky, you'll be able to gently remove the repaint from the chainguard to reveal the model name. If that fails, things like fender style, rim style, racks or no racks can provide clues to the bikes ID.

Hope this helps

-Mp

Back