Okay maybe I have a problem

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Body: Kokomo, In... Mind: in the gutter. Soul: in
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I just found the most obscure thing ever! It is a 7 FOOT tall unicycle! I talked to a friend who is really a wealth of knowledge about unicycles and learned it was made by Dave Plantenga of Kokomo who was a bicycle frame builder in the 1970's and did not build many unicycles. Well after a quick search I found his number and called his house to pick his brain about it and he was out (riding a bike) so I am waiting eagerly to find out more info on it but here it is in all it's glory, A local piece of Kokomo's history.

7ftunicycle001.jpg

Nice Araya rim with a fixed gear track hub
7ftunicycle003.jpg

And original decals
7ftunicycle002.jpg

Well I talked with the builder and he said he only built 4 unicycles! So it is rare. He said he didn't want it back though... :lol: I kinda like looking at it and am fascinated by it but I'm not brave enough to ride it.....maybe after a few beers and couple shots. :mrgreen:

Spokeshave said:
Yes you do have a problem. No ladder.

I actually took it to my unicycle guy and he rode it no problem. I watched the mount and dismount and he started by putting his foot on the tire, then the little peg on the side, then the pedal, then hops on the seat. Then the dismount was the reverse of it....little less graceful though.

Also just got this folding truing stand for FREE! I have been bummed since I missed out on one at the local auction so I'm happy to finally get one.
stand001.jpg

stand002.jpg

stand003.jpg

CRASH said:
I'm jealous of that truing stand!
Yeah the kicker is the guy who gave it me has like 9 of them. Three have been modded though. One to handle 36" wheels, one for small wheels, then one for unicycle bearing wheels then 6 others. He also has a 30 foot tall unicycle rusting away on the side of his garage. And he said he has ridden it. Then he's got a mini high wheel style bike with like a 27" front wheel and 12" rear. I'll have to get some pics next time I go there.

ChicagoMuscle Guy said:
Wow, Double score! Nice.
Yeah I been on a roll this month! And my birthday is the 17th.

It'll take some Kahunas to get on that!
BTW If you were denying you had a problem, you'd have a problem, but the fact that you've admitted you have a problem means you don't really have a problem... so no problem! :?

Bodge Deep said:
It'll take some Kahunas to get on that!
BTW If you were denying you had a problem, you'd have a problem, but the fact that you've admitted you have a problem means you don't really have a problem... so no problem! :?

Ok well if you put it like that I'm fine then. :mrgreen: Even if there are 30+ bikes crammed in my 10'x10' shed. :lol:

bike2112 said:
That Unicycle s awesome. If you could ride it and true wheels at the same time, I think you could make a ton of money.

You're welcome to come over and practice but I think I'll pass. :lol:

highship said:
Hey Outskirt, you want to pick up a lottery ticket and send it my way :lol:
Good picking lately!

Thanks man, I don't know how I do it sometimes...I guess all the good karma from giving away bikes to kids and helping people is finally catching up to me. I also had to pass on one I would LOVE to get due to lack of funds. It was a Stingray Fastback 5 speed with the outlawed stick shifter! Blue in color and with the exception of the cracked and faded seat the rest looks as close to NOS as you can get. Guy was asking $300. :cry:

Latest posts

Back